Menu
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 11 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone call from Bogus Virgin call centre

@ynysygwas wrote:

One of the help options in the nuisance calls link  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-nuisance-calls  that you give is to block anonymous calls.

All our local hospitals and my GP surgery show up as caller ID unavailable. Does this mean their calls would be rejected??

The default block to 'witheld' numbers would apply to all unfortunately. Screening calls rather than blocking is a better approach.

There seems to have been a surge in the scam calls within the last week or so. See this post from yesterday to see if any of the suggestions help.

There are ways to screen out the scammers but, unfortunately, with the VM landline they do require the purchase of more kit

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Landline-handset-to-block-unwanted-calls/m-p/4573945...

0 Kudos
Stubbs_UK
Joining in
Message 12 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I've been getting a lot of these calls on a daily basis just recently. Usually they claim that I have an issue with my router, and that I've downloaded some dubious software onto my PC (Interesting seeing as it hasn't been turned on for a couple of weeks now).

After having a little fun with them (feigning shock and horror) I usually act dumb enough that they hang up on me.

Still, it's VERY annoying to receive these calls, especially as I never use this phone number, and I'm supposed to be ex-directory too.

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Stubbs_UK,

Welcome to our Community Forum! Thank you for your first post here.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been impacted by these fraud calls. Have you taken a look on our website on how to protect yourself from these calls?

How often are these calls made to your number? Is this a regular occurrence? Keep us updated if you can.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 14 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Stubbs_UK wrote:

<snip>

After having a little fun with them (feigning shock and horror) I usually act dumb enough that they hang up on me.

Still, it's VERY annoying to receive these calls, especially as I never use this phone number, and I'm supposed to be ex-directory too.

If you speak to them, you are only likely to receive more calls as you have confirmed that a) your line is working and b) that there is someone on the end of it who is willing to talk to the scammers. The scammers will just keep calling in the hope they can talk to someone who will listen to their scam routine and comply with it.

If you don't actually use the number, just turn off the ringer on the phone and screen your calls via voicemail or from caller ID.