cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call from Bogus Virgin call centre

AL49
Joining in

I've had plausable phone calls supposedly from Virgin call centre in India, telling me that there are reported problems with Routers dropping conections and they need to help me resolve this. I was tied up with something else when they first called so I said call back later.  When they called back I was on the PC. She asked me what lights were on the Router and then told me to go on the computer and press the Windows + R keys (which brings up the Run command) then told me to enter some letters (beginning with ev... I won't put anymore) then click OK or press Enter.  I said "No I won't", she said why not, I said I am not going to give anyone access to my computer. At that point she got quite angry and said Why are you wasting my time. I hung up.  Need I add that the phone calls were from different phone numbers.

I was suspicious about the first call, Virgin haven't made calls to me like this in the last 20 odd years, they usually try to sell me something, but thought I would see what they wanted anyway.  I don't claim to be clever, but many people could well be taken in by this.

13 REPLIES 13

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ynysygwas wrote:

One of the help options in the nuisance calls link  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-nuisance-calls  that you give is to block anonymous calls.

All our local hospitals and my GP surgery show up as caller ID unavailable. Does this mean their calls would be rejected??

The default block to 'witheld' numbers would apply to all unfortunately. Screening calls rather than blocking is a better approach.

There seems to have been a surge in the scam calls within the last week or so. See this post from yesterday to see if any of the suggestions help.

There are ways to screen out the scammers but, unfortunately, with the VM landline they do require the purchase of more kit

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Landline-handset-to-block-unwanted-calls/m-p/4573945...

Stubbs_UK
Joining in

I've been getting a lot of these calls on a daily basis just recently. Usually they claim that I have an issue with my router, and that I've downloaded some dubious software onto my PC (Interesting seeing as it hasn't been turned on for a couple of weeks now).

After having a little fun with them (feigning shock and horror) I usually act dumb enough that they hang up on me.

Still, it's VERY annoying to receive these calls, especially as I never use this phone number, and I'm supposed to be ex-directory too.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Stubbs_UK,

Welcome to our Community Forum! Thank you for your first post here.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been impacted by these fraud calls. Have you taken a look on our website on how to protect yourself from these calls?

How often are these calls made to your number? Is this a regular occurrence? Keep us updated if you can.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Stubbs_UK wrote:

<snip>

After having a little fun with them (feigning shock and horror) I usually act dumb enough that they hang up on me.

Still, it's VERY annoying to receive these calls, especially as I never use this phone number, and I'm supposed to be ex-directory too.

If you speak to them, you are only likely to receive more calls as you have confirmed that a) your line is working and b) that there is someone on the end of it who is willing to talk to the scammers. The scammers will just keep calling in the hope they can talk to someone who will listen to their scam routine and comply with it.

If you don't actually use the number, just turn off the ringer on the phone and screen your calls via voicemail or from caller ID.