Menu
pentode
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Phone Number 02008514xxxx is this Virgin media Number?

Just had a call at 12.48 today from telephone number 02008514xxxx claiming to be from Virgin Media, the Indian sounding guy wanted to check my Internet and printer....  "Certainly not", was the stern reply, I then rang off and blocked the number.

Do tell me I did the right thing?

Dave

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post.]

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Phone Number 02008514xxxx is this Virgin media Number?

You did. It's a scam. VM would never phone you out of the blue with an imagined issue. Scam is well known. This Forum is full of instances. You will get more of these from different spoofed numbers because you picked up the phone. That's how the scammers know the number they have called is live. Not much you can do about that, but you'll know the next time.

I've asked the Mods to remove the phone number because it seems to belong to an existing subscriber. That's what the scammers do.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

pentode
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone Number 02008514xxx is this Virgin media Number?

Yes thanks do remove the number if thats the case.... Well, the guy can try all day - the number is now blocked, plus I always block International call's. Thanks for the confirmation... these guy's sure do sound authentic.

Dave

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Phone blocking won't help. Numbers are used only once and often are spoofed to look like domestic numbers. The only thing that might help is is a call blocker (trucall). £99 though. The only sound genuine if you are first time victim. The don't have to come up trumps very often to make lots of money out of scamming you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

pentode
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML

Not only do I have a call blocker box the phone also blocks calls.  As you say, these guy's will change their number like clappers.... the phone won't block International calls, but the box will. Coming the time to disconnect when off-line.

Dave

0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Are your using a trueCall device or a different make of screening device?

If you have fine-tuned a trueCall device with some custom settings and the scammers are still getting through, then the scammers are either targeting you specifically or you are being called by some very very determined scammers!!

0 Kudos
pentode
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi goslow

The call blocker I use in question is a CPR V.106 Call blocker.... nothing fancy I got it when we hadn't a call blocker phone and kept getting folks ringing for the housing manager whose number was similar to ours - just one digit different, a 2 instead of a 7 they kept dialing , very basic I know but did the trick, may consider updating at some time, I could have it block area codes as well should these numbers be repetitive, funny thing is no one owns them, think it was only £30 and nothing more. With the box on nothing gets through should I block.... including silent calls.

EDIT: I suppose half the time thats how they get the number from silent calls then flog em for money, the rest being auto dial hopping there's someone available to speak.

Dave

0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, was just curious to know what you were using. The CPR call blocker seems to have a lot more choice of models and range of prices to choose from than trueCall (just the one model there at £99) but the trueCall is very customisable. It recognises a whole range of different call types coming in and allows you to apply a range of different screening responses to each (even to the point of playing a 'number unobtainable' tone on the line at the most extreme option!). If a scammer wants to break through the screening they have to interact with the device and follow instructions (such as a button press). That screens out the automated calls which can't respond to that. A real scammer on the line will not waste time trying to break through. They will just move on to an easier target. It's been 100% successful at screening out the scam calls for me since using it.

0 Kudos
pentode
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

This CPR call blocker certainly paid for itself, stopped 3 'international' calls today, I can only guess where from, for some strange reason for Caller ID to work on the phone it likes to be used on line two sockets, the phone would work on line 1 sockets but not the caller display. Yes, to block a call, you can press the button on the unit or programme them into memory. It beats the pants of the BT8500  phone here which also has a blocker.... don't get me wrong the phone is OK for blocking numbers, certainly can't get it to block anything else.

Dave

0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Your BT8500 phone actually has most of the trueCall features built into it (I believe it refers to them as 'BT Call Guardian'). Instead of using it just for just blocking, try it with the Call Guardian feature turned on if you haven't done so already.

Manual here

https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/help/legacy-ug/phones/BT8500%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf

In your contacts list on the phone, set any of your contacts who you don't want to be screened as VIPs. They will just ring straight through with no screening.

Use the 'Custom' option for Call Guardian and you can set an individual response for Blocked / Allowed / International / Withheld / Payphones / Mobile / Unavailable / All other numbers.

Unknown callers have to say their name for the call to progress. This model though does not seem to require the caller to push a button on their keypad as well to progress the call so I think some of the automated scam calls might get through if they play a recorded message. Other BT phones do seem to require the button push as well which is more secure and reliable for screening. Might be a limitation of this particular model in how effective it is at screening.

There is also a 'Do Not Disturb' feature which can be on, off or timed. When this is enabled, the phone is silent unless you set VIPs to break through the DND feature.

If you want to fine-tune your set up your BT phone may have some other options, if you haven't tried them. Might get a bit confusing though if you are using the CPR at the same time as the Call Guardian as to which device has priority with the blocking! Might be best to try just the phone alone and see if it is any better than the CPR.

0 Kudos