Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 11 of 170
Flag for a moderator

Re: Odd email from purporting to be from Virgin - Saying my info has been hacked on their server

Just got another one to the account holder email address.
Changed password to be safe, was due anyway to be changed.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 12 of 170
Flag for a moderator

Re: Odd email from purporting to be from Virgin - Saying my info has been hacked on their server

There is the same notification on the help pages if you log in to your account and search data incident but what a stupid way to communicate about a breach by emailing they should have sent out a letter not an email asking you to click on links , they should also be offering compensation for the breach

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 13 of 170
Flag for a moderator

Re: so are VM going to compensate those affected by the GDPR data breach?

Compensate? What monetary loss have you suffered? 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 14 of 170
Flag for a moderator

LMAO I got this email too. Love the bit where they tell you how to be more secure when they messed up themselves. They also link to a strong passwords webpage they have yet VM accounts are limited from 8-10 characters. Yes very secure VM!!
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 15 of 170
Flag for a moderator

So Virgin have finally admitted a data breach that has been nearly a year old. I have been getting intermittent emails allegedly sent by me to  people I have never heard of and only know because I get out of office or spam return replies. Virgin’s advice is to have strong passwords, well in that case Virgin, allow people to be able to do that by not implementing crap security limitations that don’t allow special characters and can only be 8 letters long. The password security on your accounts, email access, mail boxes and routers is utterly crap and then you blame us the customer for not securing our data that is your responsibility to protect.

i trust you have reported yourself to the ICO and if you haven’t then shame on you. Whilst you haven’t shared passwords or payment data you have certainly given unscrupulous elements enough data to commit identity fraud, phishing emails on our behalf and almost a years head start.

i am thoroughly unimpressed with your poor security and it’s not the first time you have been told by your own customers that there is an issue, but your arrogance has been astounding in ignoring your customers concerns.

You really need to up your game and start moving into the 21st century with simple changes like 2FA, more complex password requirements and generally looking to protect your customers data that you are required to store safely.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 16 of 170
Flag for a moderator

@monkmad couldn’t agree more, security has not been updated since they were NTL / Telewest

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 17 of 170
Flag for a moderator

Personal Information Concern

Received an email from Virgin earlier saying that some of my personal information stored on Virgin's database has been accessed without permission. Apparently the database was accessible from at least April 2019- this is nearly a year ago and I've only just been informed???? Anybody else in the same boat and what is the next step? Now my contact details, home/email address and phone numbers have been accessed. Not impressedl!!!!! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 18 of 170
Flag for a moderator

Re: Personal Information Concern

So, they know what happened but can’t or won’t tell us? If it’s subject to a criminal enquiry, they could at least say that. 
And now the onus is on us to resolve any resulting issues? Poor show...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 170
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam Emails

Just received this, it is from Virgin Media<email@em.virginmedia.com>

Is it a scam?

Dear Nick,
We are very sorry to have to inform you that we recently became aware that some of your personal information, stored on one of our databases has been accessed without permission. Our investigation is ongoing but we currently understand that the database was accessible from at least 19 April 2019 and that the information has been recently accessed.
To reassure you, the database did NOT include any of your passwords or financial details, such as bank account number or credit card information.
The database was used to manage information about our existing and potential customers in relation to some of our marketing activities. This included: contact details (such as name, home and email address and phone numbers), technical and product information, including any requests you may have made to us using forms on our website. In a very small number of cases, it included date of birth. Please note that this is all of the types of information in the database, but not all of this information may have related to you.
We take our responsibility to protect your personal information seriously. We know what happened, why it happened and as soon as we became aware we immediately shut down access to the database and launched a full independent forensic investigation. We have also informed the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Given the nature of the information involved, there is a risk you might be targeted for phishing attempts, fraud or nuisance marketing communications. We understand that you will be concerned so we are writing to everybody affected to provide reassurance, guidance and support. We have put all of the latest information on our website https://www.virginmedia.com/help/data-incident, including some advice on how to stay safe online, such as:

Advice from the Information Commissioner's Office on how you can avoid or report nuisance marketing calls, emails and texts (https://ico.org.uk/)

How to be vigilant by not providing your personal information to anyone suspicious online, by phone, email or text. If you want more information, you can get it here https://www.getsafeonline.org/protecting-yourself/spam-and-scam-email/

How you can protect yourself from the risk of identity theft (which is when someone uses someone else’s personal information to obtain goods, services or money without permission) and other types of fraud. The Information Commissioner’s Office has information online here https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/identity-theft/
Although no financial, banking details or account passwords were accessed, it is always a good idea to make sure that your passwords are strong and not easy to guess. There is some advice here on how to set a strong password https://www.virginmedia.com/help/how-to-create-a-strong-password.
If having read this email and visited our website you still have questions, you can contact us on 0800 052 2621, but please be aware our customer service advisors do not have any further information at this stage.
Once again, we sincerely apologise for what has happened.
Lutz Schueler
CEO, Virgin Media

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 20 of 170
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam Emails

@ServalanFYIVirgin Media's data incident - Help and Advice

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos