cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My SSID changed all by itself and other fun

SMaster
On our wavelength

VM have had an outage in M23 today which affected my phone line and my internet. 

The phone line is still off, but my internet came back. 

Weird thing was my 5G SSID was renamed to simply ’1’ - could this be a security issue? 

I justed logged into my router and changed it back but any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Also, I seem to have book an engineer somehow... I’ve tried to call to cancel but the queues are massive. Can I do this online?

15 REPLIES 15

That's all very well - but when we do our  daily / (twice daily)  reboot (~20 mins each time) -  the phantom '1' ssid eventually returns.

If we do as the technicians / helpdesk advise -  (a full hard reset back to factory defaults using a pokey pin in the rear of the router) <- they suggested this be done weekly or as necessary !   The problem of the '1' ssid returns after a week or so - maybe less.

We just want stable access to the internet so that we can -

work

watch movies

play games

make and receive phone calls. (we were told that the line would be hard wired and not connected to the hub - it was an agreement of the installation that virgin said would be corrected but now turns out not to be possible) 

We don't want -

Daily interruptions to  web meetings,  database access, work vpns is very stressful.

a twenty minute wait during a streamed movie while the hub reboots - kinda ruins the movie

gaming ? - its just not fun knowing that you could be booted out anytime

not receiving phone calls as the hub has frozen

Don't know what to do - in the last 3hr phone call mission - I was eventually told (by one of the virgin staff) that it would be best to say i was leaving and talk to 'retentions' as they had more options to correct the problem.

So no - repeated changing the details of the SSID every reboot is not an acceptable solution

Thanks for replying, JimSurb,

I'll send you a PM to confirm your account details for further diagnostics to your hub.

Cheers,

Corey C

Cory_C 26-01-2021

Hi JimSurb
I'll have a look at your account for you. In order to do so, may I have the following;

The first and last name on the account?
The account number or landline number?
Are you able to confirm that you are the account holder or who is ?
May I have the 1st, 3rd and 5th characters of your passphrase?
Cheers,
Corey C

--------------------------------------

JimSurb 27-01-2021

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
tel xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (when working)
accno xxxxxxxxxxxx
XXX

---------------------------------------

Corey_C 27-01-2021
Thanks for your message and for clearing data protection, XXX,

I've run some diagnostics on your connection, it is recommending replacing the hub which I can get done for you. I've also checked what is occurring with your SSID and this appears to be down to the firmware, a replacement hub can also sort this but I have also been advised that the next firmware update will resolve this. I can get the replacement hub sent out now.

There is also currently a SNR fault in the area ref# F008766927 with an estimated end date: 28 JAN 2021 13:55. You might find that these services are intermittent at the moment: Virgin Fibre, Interactive TV, Catch Up TV, TV On Demand TiVo® or V6 home menu. We are sorry and working hard to resolve this for you.

Cheers,

Corey C

---------------------------------------

JimSurb 27-01-2021
We have had the hub replaced a number of times - the issues persist each time.

The engineers that have visited (+ the consultation from the network engineer ) have advised that and 'upgrade' is the only way to deal with this issue as firmware upgrades to the hub3.0 are on hold as the main drive of Virgin is towards DOCSIS 4.0, and it has been mentioned a number of times that it is this rollout that is causing problems.

There have been many area faults in the last 5 months, we have had the same issues before the occurrence and after the resolution of each fault. (it has been confirmed a number of times with various virgin staff that none of the area faults have any bearing on the issues that we have.

what you are suggesting has been done a number of times.

Since this whole sorry debacle has started we have paid virgin over £400, lost hours waiting on the phones, days in queues via the online chat, any many broken promises to fix or even a call back from someone who is able to explain what's happening and why there are so many repeated failures to fix the problems.

Please advise on the next course of action to take.

-------------------------------------------

Corey_C 28-01-2021
Thanks for your message, XXX,

The next recommended step would be replacing the hub as I'm attempting to offer.

Cheers,

Corey C

-------------------------------------------

JimSurb 29-01-2021

So the last engineer that came out 2 weeks ago said that was not going to help ? 15th Jan

When the hub was replaced before - we lost the phone line for 3days - will that happen again ?

--------------------------------------------
JimSurb 29-01-2021

Please just do what is ever necessary to get us working.

asif
On our wavelength

Hi having the same problem as well in the IG1 area.

My apologies asif

Can you do a PIN reset on the router for me?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I am having the same problem Hub4 reverts to defaults every time power cuts. 

I have already done a pin hole reset.