cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line is compromised Phone Call

Zu
On our wavelength

I've just received a phone call stating that our line has been compromised, whatever that means.  My Dad answered the call.

This is quite worrying as the number in question, when searched is not found.

The number is below :-

[removed]

The only thing that the searched said was that it was from a mobile user and other numbers that started 0757237 were all scams.

Any info on this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Zu.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The scammers' story of a 'compromised line' is just the opening line of a tried-and-tested scammer script.

Their aim is to convince the unlucky victim that they have a problem with their internet connection. The scammers (posing as VM, BT, Microsoft etc.) then offer to fix the (imaginary) problem by gaining remote access to the customer's computer.

Once they have remote access they will try to gain access to online banking (usually under the guise of offering a refund for the 'problems') where they will try to steal money or personal data.

There is booklet by the Met Police which describes some of the common phone scams

https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAssets/media/downloads/central/advice/fraud/met/little-booklet-of-p...

Simplest solution is to hang up immediately and not talk to them.

This trueCall device is also very effective at preventing scam calls ringing the home phone by screening calls from numbers you don't know

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Anankha
Problem sorter

I suspect it was a scam call. Did they ask for any personal information like log in details or ask to access your pc to ‘fix’ the problem?
Have you entered the number on the who-called website?

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia

Zu
On our wavelength

My Dad took the call and immediately said to them that it's a Scam.  They replied with "NO it's not a scam, we're calling from Head Office". He kept them on the phone for some time before hanging up on them and he didn't give any details out.  But, they didn't ask for him by name, which makes me think that it is a Scam Call.

Sorry to the Moderators of this forum for adding the Phone Number of the Scammer, only trying to help.

Just used the Link above and the phone number and there are no comments about it.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin will not make outgoing calls about technical issues.

Let me explain why the number was removed.

In order to avoid number blocking measures used recently the scammers have taken to cloning genuine phone numbers used by businesses & private residential customers. As a result posting these numbers on public forums, apart from possible privacy invasion, could lead to the innocent party getting abusive calls from vigilantes thinking they are calling the scammers.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zu
On our wavelength

Ok, Thanks for the explanation.

How will Virgin notify us if the line in has been compromised.  (Both Phone and Internet). That been said can the line into the house actually be compromised.  Or is this just an excuse from these people to get your details ?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Zu wrote:

Ok, Thanks for the explanation.

How will Virgin notify us if the line in has been compromised.  (Both Phone and Internet). That been said can the line into the house actually be compromised.  Or is this just an excuse from these people to get your details ?

Virgin's monitoring ends at the street cabinet. Monitoring your installed equipment directly is not allowed under privacy legislation. They can inform you that you they have detected malware traffic that has compromised one of your devices, but they will only do this via a letter through the post.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The scammers' story of a 'compromised line' is just the opening line of a tried-and-tested scammer script.

Their aim is to convince the unlucky victim that they have a problem with their internet connection. The scammers (posing as VM, BT, Microsoft etc.) then offer to fix the (imaginary) problem by gaining remote access to the customer's computer.

Once they have remote access they will try to gain access to online banking (usually under the guise of offering a refund for the 'problems') where they will try to steal money or personal data.

There is booklet by the Met Police which describes some of the common phone scams

https://www.met.police.uk/SysSiteAssets/media/downloads/central/advice/fraud/met/little-booklet-of-p...

Simplest solution is to hang up immediately and not talk to them.

This trueCall device is also very effective at preventing scam calls ringing the home phone by screening calls from numbers you don't know

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

Zu
On our wavelength

Ok,  Thank you Everyone.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Zu 

Welcome back to the community 

Really sorry to hear that you received a scam call. Glad that the community were able to respond and help clear things up for you. 

If ever in any doubt, hand up the phone and if needed, call the know customer service number yourself to get clarification. 

Any communications we send, letters and emails, such as the malware letters advised by @nodrogd, will be noted on the account which can then be confirmed by any customer service agent or our Virgin Media forum team should you need. 

If you ever do believe you have given information to scammers, please do let us know immediately so we can flag the account and also you can report to Action Fraud for them to collect the data and investigate further. 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley