Menu
Homephone11
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Is this a scam?

Hi, I recvd letter from Govt Health Assessor to be by the phone this morning between 11.15am and 12.15am for an assessment, or my benefit could be stopped. The TV and Broadband were down for maintenance in CB10 area here.  At 10.38 am I got an automated phonecall from 03706320110, stating that Virgin should have advised that my TV and Broadband were down and I had one missed call and that the phone was not in use because of illegal activity.  

I don't know where to start with this.  I phoned the Health Assessment Advisory people, but they just have a recording saying no face-to-face interviews.  I can't speak to a person.

So did Virgin orginate that call?  And how can I know if it was the assessor missed call?

0 Kudos
goslow
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is this a scam?

You seem to be describing several different things all happening at the same time which is understandably confusing.

Automated calls which tell you that your internet connection is going to be shut down due to 'illegal activity' are common formats of scam calls. The phone number you have posted does not appear to be readily identifiable which also infers a scam call.

Did you actually experience a loss of VM connections and/or see this via the service status page?

The time you mention for receiving the call is outside the time given for the assessment call. Did your phone actually stop working during the period? Are all of your services working now?

0 Kudos
Homephone11
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yes the call came while I was waiting by the phone for the call. The TV had a message saying unavailable at the moment. I could watch the BBC news, but nothing else. The internet was off and on intermittently. I phoned 150 and the Virgin message said they were updating in the area and service would resume at 3pm. When I went on Virgin website, it also said updating and interruptions to service in our area.
But it was not a number listed as suspicious in the 'who phoned me'. It said press 1 for an engineer. The whole thing has been upsetting.
0 Kudos
goslow
Super solver
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Based on what you have written, it sounds like 3 separate things may have coincidentally happened together (the timing of your expected assessment call, together with a VM TV/broadband outage, together with a likely scam call).

The 'press 1' request on the call just adds more weight to it being a scam call as this is part of the standard automated scam script. That is simply a means to get you in direct contact with the scammers. Their usual routine is to convince you of a fault with your computer or internet connection. They then request remote access to your computer to 'fix' the 'problem'. Once they have that access their aim is normally to login to your online banking and/or capture personal information. The caller ID for scam calls is often faked so may not show up as belonging to anyone nor be on any warning lists of numbers.

VM would not ring you up out of the blue and offer to fix a fault for you. Nor would they issue threats over the phone about 'illegal activity' on your connection.

It is highly likely you will receive more of the same kind of scam calls claiming to be VM. Best approach is just to hang up and not respond or talk to them.

0 Kudos