Menu
FF01
Just joined
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

IP address hacked

Someone in an online game last night found out my IP and nearest location putting it in chat, afterwards booting me off the game. I'm worried what can they do with my IP address, can they hack into our household devices? Or use our IP address for illegal activities? Help/answers appreciated.

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: IP address hacked

@FF01 wrote:

Someone in an online game last night found out my IP and nearest location putting it in chat, afterwards booting me off the game. I'm worried what can they do with my IP address, can they hack into our household devices? Or use our IP address for illegal activities? Help/answers appreciated.

They can't "use your IP address for illegal activities".

They can, however, send your IP address so much traffic that it knocks you offline (denial of service attack / DoS). 

Typically, a home connection will NAT everything on your LAN (so computers, game consoles, cameras, phones, tablets etc..).. This essentially means that it will convert traffic from your private IP addresses (192.168.0.x) to your public address - your router handles all of the translation between private to public and back to private.

Your hub will, by default, also reject all unsolicited traffic hitting the public IP address *unless* you have a port forward configured.. in which case it would allow that traffic through and send it to whatever device you had configured to receive it. 

Your biggest concern here is probably the DoS attack - they could cripple your internet connection which is a major annoyance and unfortunately there's not a huge amount that you can do about it 😕

0 Kudos