cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[IMPORTANT] Virgin Media Alert: Your device may have a malware infection

AranN
Tuning in

Hi all,

I've received 3-4 letters and emails reporting that I have a virus.

Spoiler

Your Virgin Media account number: 

Our reference: VMIS7-MALWARE-Fxxxxxxxxx

Please take action now: a device using your internet connection is infected with malware

Dear Mr xxxxxx,

We’ve now been alerted on three separate occasions that one or more of the devices you use to go on the internet is infected with malicious software (malware). This means there’s a significant risk that your personal data and any financial transactions you’ve made online have been compromised. The details of this alert are below.

On 05 October 2021, avalanche-matsnu, a piece of malware, was detected on a device using your internet connection.

I know I don't.
The malware/virus that they specify in each communication only runs on Windows devices.
I have 2 devices running windows.
1 is very rarely used and is virus-free after many scans. The other is used often but is also virus free.

I believe this is due to a new type of wifi router I have installed.
It connects to other similar hardware in the local area and sends encrypted tech/science data to other such devices. Think of it as a weather station sharing temp, altitude, wind speed etc with other weather stations around the country.
To use them we have to forward 1 to 3 ports form the internal IP to the external IP.

Other people involved with these devices have had similar letters/emails.
I think the way the data is sent or the patterns somehow mean that servers such as DNS and Spam databases flag my IP as a virus. This is then sent to Virgin Media.

The effect is that some sites like local news and epicgames have blocked my IP address giving a 403 Forbidden error. This I can live with and it doesn't bother me that much.

However, how can I get in touch with VM and show that my machines are virus-free and they can stop sending letters/emails?
I'm also more worried about this statement:

Spoiler
We need to let you know that if you don’t get it fixed, to protect others we may need to suspend or cancel your broadband service in line with our Acceptable Use Policy.

10/06/21 - Our Reference: VMIS60-NETWORKATTACKS-F009082839

16/08/21 - Our reference: VMIS5-MALWARE-F009222891
On 14 August 2021, one detected that matsnu , a piece of malware, was present on a device using your internet connection.

07/09/21 - Our reference: VMIS6-MALWARE-F009259856
On 06 September 2021, kelihos, a piece of malware, was detected on a device using your internet connection.

07/10/21 - Our reference: VMIS7-MALWARE-F009332833
On 05 October 2021, avalanche-matsnu, a piece of malware, was detected on a device using your internet connection.

Any help is greatly appreciated and happy to reward whoever solves this riddle.

11 REPLIES 11

Or you could just put said letters straight into the paper recycling! Absolutely nothing will happen!

Hah.  I suspect you're right.