Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 11 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacked??? Help!

Thanks Alf28 for your helpful reply. I think I was also hacked via LinkedIn, but have changed p/w long ago. This is the first time I've been contacted; it went straight to spam folder, though.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@20Apr wrote:
I'm a virgin mobile customer; does that count?

Advice is the same.

I had one saying they had naked pictures of me. And would publish them if I didnt pay a bitcoin ransom. When I pointed out there are no pictures of me anywhere on the net or any server,fully clothed never mind naked, (yes I am that sad I play scambaiting with these eejits) the reply was they had accessed my webcam. Which displays some SERIOUS hacking skills as I dont have one. But I do get how people may be worried about a message like that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 13 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good Evening,

I would be carefull in replying to these e-mails, yes i do love a bit of scambaiting it really does wind them up, however becareful as sometimes your e-mail headers contain details of your ip address the e-mail was sent from so use a VPN or Tor to mask before the fun begins.

To other posts, these e-mail are from websites that have been hacked over the years and contain thousands of details, so it may be years before they start spamming you. I use my own domain for e-mails and give out a unique e-mail address to each supplier eg: VMForum@my-emaildomain.co.uk  fake of course, so i know who leaked my e-mail or have been hacked. just ignore the e-mails (laught at them for trying to scam you) and make sure you change any passwords on sites the haveibeenpwned.com website show as hacked.

if you want anymore advice about e-mails, let me know.

Thanks

TP-Link Archer C2 Router
Suber Hub 3 (awaiting Modem Mode after Faults Fixed)
Raspberry Pi Headless Pi running Pi-Hole

Fibre optic
Message 14 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Best not to reply although tempting to have a go back at them, I understand that, if you reply they will have your ip address which is useful to a hacker.A good tip is to use  a vpn which hides your true ip address but I would advise never to contact spammer/hacker/fraudster or click links, attachments, downloads or reply or forward or unsuscribe to them ever. These hackers can be dangerous and very clever probably with degree in computing but also they are after bank details or payments.

Also they are probably untraceable as they use stolen email address's so the true identity is hidden, anyone can open an email in a false name I suppose.

I just ignore any fake blackmail although it is very annoying, I always put pvc black tape over my camera lens on laptop/tablet as advised by the FBI for privacy, but usually switch off camera and microphone  anyway, as I do not use them.

ALF28

0 Kudos