Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hacked??? Help!

I received an email saying "I know XXX is your password [instead of XXX my password is given] and I require your full attention....." (This is all I could see because I did not open the email.)

This was forwarded to my present email from an old virgin.net account that I no longer use for email. But still it is scary. I tried to log in to this account but the message was that I have entered incorrect details.  What to do?

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacked??? Help!

your password will of been hacked from a site in the past nothing to do with vm
check your email here to see where its been leaked/hacked
https://haveibeenpwned.com/

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Make sure you are NOT using the same password anywhere else.

Then consign it to SPAM where it belongs.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice; I checked link and it said that I have been Pwned.  What must I do?

(I know it has nothing to do with vm -- I just thought someone may be able to offer advice.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

change the passwords that was used on the hacked site. Makde sure you do not use the same password everywhere

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As above.

It means that you have used that email/password combination at a site that has had its database leaked.

If you use a different password for every site- no worries.

If you use the same one for multiple sites, change em all.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You have come to the right place, 20Apr.    You had some good advice, and I'd like to add to that.  I am going to assume you are NOT a current VM broadband customer?  Please correct me, as the advice may change.

You may not realise, but the mailbox should have been closed AND deleted automatically 90 days after you finished being a customer (1 year for virgin.net customers IIRC), according to VM's own Terms and Conditions. But the process fails all too often and leaves the former customer vulnerable to hacking and theft of personal and financial details (IMO, someone should definitely claim for damages from VM or complain to ICO!).  So that virgin.net address is still vulnerable - even it it may not be breached at this time.  You'd be best to get that old address and mailbox deleted now.

Only VM staff can raise a ticket to get the orphaned mailboxes deleted manually. The friendly Forum Team will visit this thread in the next few days and then take your personal details by private message.

When they say it is done, you can verify it is gone by running the email address(es) through https://mailtester.com.

In the meantime, if you still have access via an email client (try Thunderbird - using IMAP process which synchronises with the mailbox stored on the VM server), delete everything from all the folders to reduce the information available to hackers.

Best wishes to you.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

And just in case you are  still a customerhttps://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You are  not the only one, I got the same email with exactly the same wording , an upsetting unpleasant email to receive but mine was sent from a Hotmail address on  22/4/2020 (See all my recent posts regarding virgin spam and data breach and blackmail)

You got some good answers from community, the password will be from a hacked website, mine was Linkedin  in 2016 and am still getting this blackmail email 9 times since 2018 but from a different sender each time.

Just make sure all passwords different on each site and updated. Do not respond to such emails which are blackmail and fake and wise not to read them or click on links, they are from hackers and are fraudulent and the very worst of spam email.

The people behind it are criminals and using hacked or old email address's, virgin are at fault for allowing  a disused old email to get in the hands of hackers and should disable old emails so they can not be abused for fraud and phishing etc. the subject is often raised, I get spams form old virgin emails or in some cases spoofed virgin address's but virgin were advised by myself (phishing dept.) but they never reply.

I begin to wonder if the emails are connected to virgin and they are unable to stop the problem of their servers being abused by hacker/spammers so the security may be suspect?

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'm a virgin mobile customer; does that count?
0 Kudos