cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent account in my name

Sully1886
Tuning in

I've tried contacting Virgin Media about this via phone and chat and nothing seems to be getting done, so I'm trying here.

Last year in 2021, I had my bank card details, old name and old address details stolen. I'm unsure if this was due to one of my bags being stolen, or a data leak, I've no idea.

On the 28/10/21, I noticed several payments set up via direct debit for Virgin Media. There were four payments at £8 each.

I immediately contacted my bank, Lloyds, on the 28/10/21, who investigated the charges (which had taken me into an unarranged overdraft). They concluded that the charges were fraudulent and refunded them to me on the same day.

I then contacted Virgin Media and explained to them what had happened and that I have NEVER been a Virgin Mobile customer.The advisor I spoke to via phone on the 28/10/21, confirmed there were no accounts, neither old, nor active in my old name or linked to me. They told me to ignore any letters I got from Virgin Media, as they were incorrect and reassured me that there was nothing in my name with their company. No accounts, nothing.

On the 18/11/21 my ex informed me that letters from Virgin Media had been sent to her parent's house under my old name. Her parents destroyed them, not knowing it was my old name. Since I had been told to ignore the letters by Virgin, I did so.

My ex informed me on 21/02/22 that two letters from BPO debt collection services had come for me, in my old name, to my old address. (I have changed my first name in 2020 via legal deed poll.)

These letters stated that Virgin Media had sent a Virgin Media account in my previous name over to BPO debt collection services, and were seeking immediate payment of £53.43 for a Virgin Media account.

An account I did not open. Or have knowledge of.

This account was opened fraudulently in my previous name, using my stolen credentials. I had no knowledge of this account until I recieved the BPO letter and had been told, by someone at Virgin, back on 28/10/21 that there was NO account under my previous name or linked to me at all.

I contacted Virgin Media on 21/02/22 via phone and spoke to a woman about this charge. She was incredibly rude and asked me 'What do you want me to do?' and refused to look into the situation.

Despite me telling her, repeatedly, that the account was fraudulent, and that I had no access to it, she continually asked me for the account number, phone number and details I did not have, due to not being the creator of the account. At one point she simply went silent on the phone and asked me 'What do you want me to do?' again.

I contacted Virgin Media a second time on the 21/02/22, and the person who answered transferred me to another agent mistakenly, who I then had to explain my situation to again. They filled in a form to investigate the account on Virgin Media's side and that I would be contacted within 24 hours.

I also contacted Virgin Media on social media, and via messenger on 21/02/22, and was told it was going to be investigated and that they would contact me when the investigation was complete.

I have also informed Action Fraud of the fraud and money taken from my bank and as it stands, nothing has been done. I consider this a matter or urgency, and Virgin Media seemed wholly uninterested or concerned when I contacted them.

I am extremely disatisfied with how this was handled initially by Virgin Media. At no point, should someone have been able to open an account in my previous name, without verification. I feel Virgin Media did not take enough precautions to ensure the person/s opening this fraudulent account were in fact, myself and genuine. Not only that, but the way it was handled by one of the agents I spoke to was, quite frankly, appalling. They lacked empathy, understanding and were very difficult to talk to.

I would like to resolve this matter with Virgin Media without the use of the communications Ombudsman first. I am incredibly distressed that this has gone on for months, after I was told by Virgin Media, that I was to ignore their letters and that there was no account in my name. This has damaged my credit, my reputation and caused me severe distress.

It's maddness that I have to use the forum to contact Virgin Media. And it's madness that someone could even make an account in my previous name like they have and that I am now being hounded by debt collectors for it.

What am I meant to do in this instance? If hounding Virgin Media has produced no results?

8 REPLIES 8

spell
Knows their stuff

To avoid solicitor fees can I suggest that you contact your local citizens advice bureau for advice. VM are pushing the boundaries in their desperation for money and my observation is that their action in instructing debt collectors may actually be illegal in these circumstances. Consulting a solicitor may be eventual course of action but be aware that solicitors correspondence to them will likely be ignored. Good luck

I've spoken to the Citizen's Advice, and was told to report to Action Fraud, and to send a letter to the debt collection company, which I have done today. I just find it utterly mad that this has even happened and that I can't even get a reply from Virgin on their own forums.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sully1886 You will get a response from the VM Forum Team when this thread gets to the top of their list.  Community members are always likely to reply before the staff.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Graham. 🙂 I'm just a bit frantic about it, I suffer from an anxiety disorder so this is worrying me to death!

Hi Sully1886 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear that you've had an account fraudulently opened in your name.  I would like to help you resolve this issue.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi Sully1886

Just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R

Cheers Lee, I am definitely satisfied, thank you for sorting it out for me. 🙂

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for updating the thread Sully1886. 

I will pass on your message to Lee 🙂 

Nat