Menu
atko57
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Engineer visits

I have frequent visits by men who say they are engineers from VirginMedia who want access to my house to upgrade my broadband. Is this usual?  Should I not expect a notification from VirginMedia before they visit?  I have told them to go away.  How do we verify if these visits are real or not?

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Engineer visits

Sounds like a description of an attempted distraction burglary. You were right to turn them away and not let them in.

Speak to your local police on the non-emergency number for information. They may be aware of similar reports in your area.

Engineers from VM won't turn up out of the blue offering to upgrade your broadband for you.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

All Virginmedia engineers who visit customers home should be in Virginmedia uniforms and carry their ID's as well, in case like this if you were not expecting them I would have asked to see their ID, as already stated sounds like a scam and from what I know the internal engineers do not normally go around in pairs, normally it is just a single engineer.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Some quick Googling on recent doorstep scams does mention attempts by people claiming to be engineers from VM and dressed in VM uniform. So, IMHO, I would still suggest not letting them in unless VM have pre-arranged a visit to your home or you can confirm with VM on the day they turn up that someone from VM is actually meant to be there.