cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email about DOSPARTICIPANTS

DarXyde
Tuning in

I've received the email:

"We’ve been notified by a third party that a device on your home network has participated in a Denial of Service attack, which is where a computer system sends a large amount of traffic to another computer system or network with the aim of disrupting its connection to the Internet., etc etc"

Obviously includes ZERO clues about this alleged DDOS participation, no information about the ports used, device, logs, anything whatsoever to be able to trace the issue.

I have a dozen of devices connected to the WiFi router, including but not limited to computers, smart devices, etc. None of them are having security issues that I'm aware off, and at least on computers, no malware was identified by the antivirus...

The link given in the email only provides information on what to do if you are the target of a DDOS, not if you are the one doing it, so that link was really ... useless.

The one thing that's strange however, is the fact that my IP address (that I had for years) only just changed few days before the alleged DDOS participation date. If I'm to guess here, whoever had the IP address before me is likely to blame, and the date they given me is just the date they received the information or whatever.

I honestly have no idea what to do next, the email treatens to cancel my services if I don't fix my issue, an issue I'm certain I don't have.

If anyone has any advise, I'll appreciate.

7 REPLIES 7

DarXyde
Tuning in

In my case I thought it could be related to the IP change that was just days before that (after I had the same IP for 3-4 years)... do you know if yours changed recently?

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey DarXyde,

Sorry to hear about this security issue and apologies if that got you upset.

Please, make sure you run an up-to-date anti-virus scan on all your devices in use.
Once performed, please keep an eye on your emails and see if we send you any follow-up communication following these actions.

If that happens, you will need to get in touch at 0345 454 111 so we can investigate this further for you.

Please, let us know how you're getting on - we are happy to provide further support.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

The email you sent is completely unfounded, you have absolutely no logs to back it up. And if you do have any logs, please let me know how I can request them... Do I need to make a freedom of information request? And where?

Hi DarXyde, thanks for the message. The email would have been sent to you by our internet security team when they detect an issue on the network, would you be able to run a virus scan and then change the password and this should resolve things. ^Chris. 

Hi Chris,

Your response is completely unhelpful, but thanks for trying?

According to this ... forum... you've been sending the same exact messages before in error, which I'm sure is the case now too.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/I-ve-been-sent-an-email-about-DOS-and-have-no-...

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for getting back to us DarXyde. 

We appreciate that there was an error with an email being sent previously but as it stands, we have not been notified of this reoccurring. With that being the case, we would recommend taking the steps suggested by my colleagues as this is based on the advice from the internet security team. 

Thank you, 

Nat

According to your support, its "normal" for this to happen when there is an IP change, due to the sudden traffic on the new IP (which is somewhat close to my assumption).

However I strongly believe it's not "normal" to send such emails for absolutely no reason on my end. It would be reasonable if you wouldn't add at the end that you will cancel my services if it doesn't get fixed. I CANT FIX YOUR SERVERS.

It seems that nowhere you guys are stopping for a second to consider the customer could be right, and your automated emailing service wrong? Why is it so hard to believe that can actually happen?

Beside the best internet speed available currently in my area, and generally working well, honestly your customer service is just unreliable. Not only you can't investigate this issue, but won't pass it to your more qualified team do so either.

PS: If you can't or not going to actually investigate the right reason behind sending that email, don't bother answering.