Menu
leon9282
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cold calls

Hi all, is anyone else getting calls from removed, had a few recently, telling me my speed is lagging, asking what lights i had on my Router, Red, Green or Blue?, after saying white and then asking "Can you tell me what Router i'm using" they hung up.

So my guess would be another scam, loads about recently. Be careful.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cold calls

These are scam calls, & the numbers used are either fake, or increasingly are cloned from genuine businesses or customers who are nothing to do with the scammers.

The number quoted is allocated to a business user in Greenock, so for their own security I am asking the mods to remove it.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @leon9282

Thanks for posting this on here and making us aware of the situation. 

We wouldn't' ring you regarding your speeds or your broadband so please do be mindful if they do ring again. Furthermore, you can actually block these number via this link here.

Please do let me know if you have any further issues. 

Thanks  

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Janeyb1
Just joined
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've had several calls stating there's an issue with my download speed etc. Sounded like an Indian call centre. No verification asked for and asking me to go onto my laptop. Naturally I  didn't though. The numbers that rang me were:

[removed]

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Some of these appear to be real numbers cloned from innocent parties. You should edit your post and remove them as publishing them on the forum serves no useful purpose.

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Janeyb1 It's great that you have come to the Forum with this issue. The thread that you have added to explains what is going on. These are all scam calls and you did the right thing by putting the phone down. However you will have seen that the for the person who started this thread we have had the phone numbers removed because they are real numbers of real subscribers. The numbers are of absolutely no use to VM or anyone else in tracing these miscreants. They are either real numbers or made up ones. Someone could even be using yours and some genuine subscribers have actually be phoned by annoyed oeople who have had these scam calls. Most of these calls originate over the internet from call centres in the Far East. They use spoofed numbers so they can't be traced (wouldn't you).

Please remove them to avoid breaching other's privacy. You can do that by clicking on "Post Options" and then edit reply. I will ask the Mods to do this if you don't.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks