cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child safe

Dean_Lindson
Tuning in

Hi there,  VM community

I am trying to block some gaming websites to disallow access for our kids using Virgin's Child Safe.  I do not want to block all game sites,  just selected ones. 

I tried using the "Blocked Websites" feature to add websites that we always want Child Safe to block access to. However,  it is not actually blocking the sites we entered. 

The settings are saved and I have rebooted the Virgin Media Hub. We do not use any VPN and I have checked that our AS is "Virgin Media".

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Many thanks

Dean

12 REPLIES 12

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

When Web Safe blocks a website you should see a Web Safe confirmation message. Did this come up?

Maybe try setting it up in private /incognito mode and clear the cache /cookies on the device being tested before retesting. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Yes, the settings were confirmed saved.  When I refresh the page,  it shows that websites that have been entered. 

Screenshot_20230529_101529_DuckDuckGo.jpg

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does not appear to be a system wide issue as block those domains work for me.

Are you able to browse to http://protonvpn.com?

Tip: specifying the domain is sufficient to block all of its subdomains, i.e. blocking example.com  will also block www.example.commobile.example.com, etc.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Child Safe's blocked website list has a tendency to disappear (i.e. reset itself to empty) after an unknown period of time. Maybe worth rechecking to make sure that is not happening to you also.

Lots of people on here put the VM hub in modem mode and use their own better routers which generally have more configuration options (as well as much better wifi). 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Hi the,  yes I can access the protonvpn.com website

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That your are able to access protonvpn.com implies Child Safe's true status is Off and not On; this would explain why manually blocked domains remain accessible. The forum team are best placed to look at this further and its been flagged to them; be aware it can take them a few hours / days respond — likely latter given bank holiday.

Whilst waiting for the forum team to respond see if the issue persist after turning Child Safe Off and On, and test by trying to access protonvpn.com

Hi @Dean_Lindson 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us via community. Have you managed to sort out the Child Safe features on your Virgin Media account, or do you still require assistance. 

Please let us know.

Sabrina

Dean_Lindson
Tuning in

Hi there, thank you all for your help. It works now.

Not sure if VM/Child Safe support team have changed anything, or perhaps the following action made a difference: Basically, I removed all the surplus elements such as "http" and "//" in the URLs, and just kept it to the bare minimum e.g., fortnite.com, minecraft.net, pubg.com. May just be a coincidence, not sure. 

The one thing I would like to raise for the ChildSafe support team (@Sabrina_B) is that any URLs with a "-" (dash) is not allowed in the blocking feature. For example, the game website half-life.com is not considered a valid website address. Virgin Media - can you all fix this please?

Many thanks

Dean