cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

286 REPLIES 286

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @ynysygwas 

Sorry to hear that you are still receiving marketing calls. 

Are you able to let me know the number you are getting the calls from? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

The clue is in the subject! I have now discovered how to block the number on my phone but can still see them in the call log.

A waste of time your trying to stop them. They either don't care or are acting on orders from 'higher up'.

I have updated my preferences but the calls are still coming through. I have blocked the number so it doesn’t ring my mobile but clogs up voicemail instead! 
 So either Virgin are ignoring my preferences, or their offshore subcontractors aren’t being kept up onto date. 
 Also interesting that the ‘preferences’ offered are basically all or nothing - no ability to say email but not phone. Virgin are the only company I’ve ever come across who do this. But if they ignore it anyway it’s a moot point.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi geoffvgsmith,

If you also have a mobile with VM you would also have to turn of the marketing there by logging into https://mobile.virginmedia.com/ecare/login 

(This doesn't stop VM sending literature by post to the householder.)

Please note it can take up to 28 days to take effect.

As you've already noted there are no separate options to turn off telephone, post, text messages, tv edit magazine etc individually, so all forms of marketing will be stopped.

If you still want to read the tv edit magazine then save <<< this bookmark >>> 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi geoffvgsmith,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community. It's great having you on board with us. I'm sorry to hear that you are still having an issue with receiving calls relating to marketing from us. 

As correctly pointed out by newapollo, it can take up to 28 days to update things. Thanks newapollo for taking the time to provide the OP with your response 🙂 

I am happy to double check the account to ensure the preferences have been updated but I've not been able to locate it based on your forum credentials. I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for all the initial replies. I did check my preferences and marketing is definitely switched off, so I will give it a few more weeks to see if the calls stop. If not I’ll come back to the Forum. 

Hi geoffvgsmith, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

Thanks completely fine 🙂 

If you need anything else, you know where we are. 

Take care,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Best of luck! They never took any notice of my preferences.

I've 'solved' the problem. I requested a PAC and have taken my number to a different provider. Cheaper than any equivalent so called upgrade special deals from the VM sales team and I get £50 cashback! I wish I'd known earlier how simple it was to just take my number and go.

I suggest anyone else bothered by calls from 0800 052 1251 does the same. Losing money is probably the only thing that makes them take action!

SRegan
Tuning in

I received a call from this number today following several abortive calls where you hear half a second of music then it cuts off. Having previously looked up the number on Twitter, where the Virgin Media account has told numerous people it's a legit number, I took the call. They asked me to confirm my address and postcode which seemed odd, but they were able to tell me the date I signed up and advised me to call 150 after the call, so I went ahead. The offer they made me was very similar to the one previously offered (I felt inappropriately) by the tech support rep before he would book an engineer, so that also didn't ring any alarm bells. I also asked why I was receiving calls when I had recently changed my preferences to not receive marketing, and the sales rep said 'Oh yes, I can see you've ticked that', before continuing to sell me on a 12-month contract. I was told that i could get the top level of broadband for £3 more per month than my current contract, which seemed suspicious, and I decided to end the call.

The first time I phoned 150 I couldn't really understand the rep; she said she thought it sounded like a legitimate call and suggested I had received a call about a SIM card (which didn't sound like what the first caller had said). I asked why the difference between my current package and the new deal was so low but she could only offer a variant of my package with unlimited Talk, which she initially suggested was the same price, then slightly more expensive (but allegedly not a fixed-term contract), and then a £2 cheaper offer, but couldn't tell me how it differed from my current deal.

Later I called back as I felt I hadn't had it fully confirmed that the initial call was legitimate. The second rep I spoke to had quite a different story - he said that the number is being spoofed; that if they asked for address and post number it was likely a spam, that he would initiate a security check (but that he couldn't see on his system if I'd received a call, like the initial caller/scammer suggested, and that the only notes on the system were from the first customer support agent), and that he advised me to call the non-emergency police line (this doesn't let you report fraud and refers you to the online Action Fraud form). He also said the first rep was incorrect and the 'no strings' contract she'd offered me was for 16 months!

I have no idea what to think and I'm just amazed that Virgin Media is a.) unable to track what calls it's making to customers, b.) freely telling people to trust a number that's actively being spoofed, and c.) its pricing and offers are so inconsistent that it's impossible to tell if you're dealing with a fraudster or real sales rep.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Sregan, sorry to hear you've been receiving this type of call as well.

If our teams have tried to contact you there will be notes on your account regarding that, so you need to report a phone call you’ve received from someone you believe is pretending to be Virgin Media just get in touch and we'll be able to advise on the call’s legitimacy and make sure this is fed back to the relevant teams.

Tom