cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

286 REPLIES 286

ZeroZero
Dialled in

I recently had a phone call from this number, the woman on tghe phone refused to tell me what the call was about until She took me though security. I treated it as a scam and hung up using my own sources to phone Virgin Media back on a different number. My prefs are set to no calls.

It was a marketing call. Recently broadband was down in my area and this was a "customer expereince" phone call to ask me how much I still loved Virgin etc bla bla.

It's a dangerous practice for Virgin to cold call it's customers and demand their identification. Obviously they know this but don't care as the danger is with the customer not with them. They should stop this practice immediately particularly since custromers like myself have specifically opted out of marketing calls. Frankly I do not expect them, or the moderators on this site to do anything about this.

Delavardo
Joining in

If I get one more call from these bullying pieces of you know what I will definitely cancel everything I have with virgin media. 

I've had enough of them, if face to face I wouldn't be responsible for what I would do.

Hi Delavardo, 

Thanks for your post,

Sorry to hear you're getting a lot of these calls.

I've popped you over a private message so I can get a few more details from you then take a closer look.

Get back to me when you can.

Alex_Rm

dave2318
On our wavelength

I've just had one of these calls to my Virgin Mobile number asking for my wife as she is apparently due an upgrade!

Where to start!

• My wife's account is completely separate to mine so they shouldn't be calling me! 
  • My number is on a separate account so they have breached GDPR getting and calling my number
  • My wife's 12 month account only started a couple of months ago so she isn't due an upgrade yet
  • They wanted to talk to me without doing any security checks

Screams fraud to me!

Hello Dave2318,

Thank you for your post and sorry you're experiencing issues receiving these calls.

To ensure it isn't any of our marketing teams we can take your details to stop them contacting you.

To do so I would need to send you a private message to get the details of the account in question from you to send to the team to stop these.

If you can respond to this by clicking the purple envelop in the top right corner please.

In the meantime you can block this number from your mobile handset as well to stop calls from this number coming through to you.

Thank you, Emily

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

See the GDPR, Article 21, Right to Object: https://gdpr-info.eu/art-21-gdpr/

See also the ico guidance on the same topic: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-r...

Direct marketing

An individual can ask you to stop processing their personal data for direct marketing at any time. This includes any profiling of data that is related to direct marketing.

This is an absolute right and there are no exemptions or grounds for you to refuse. Therefore, when you receive an objection to processing for direct marketing, you must stop processing the individual’s data for this purpose.

However, this does not automatically mean that you need to erase the individual’s personal data, and in most cases it will be preferable to suppress their details. Suppression involves retaining just enough information about them to ensure that their preference not to receive direct marketing is respected in future.

An instruction from the customer objecting to the processing of their data for marketing purposes is all that is required. This instruction can be given in line with the ico guidance on the matter:

How do we recognise an objection?

The GDPR does not specify how to make a valid objection. Therefore, an objection to processing can be made verbally or in writing. It can also be made to any part of your organisation and does not have to be to a specific person or contact point.

A request does not have to include the phrase 'objection to processing' or Article 21 of the GDPR - as long as one of the conditions listed above apply.

This presents a challenge as any of your employees could receive a valid verbal objection. However, you have a legal responsibility to identify that an individual has made an objection to you and to handle it accordingly. Therefore you may need to consider which of your staff who regularly interact with individuals may need specific training to identify an objection.

Additionally, it is good practice to have a policy for recording details of the objections you receive, particularly those made by telephone or in person. You may wish to check with the requester that you have understood their request, as this can help avoid later disputes about how you have interpreted the objection. We also recommend that you keep a log of verbal objections.

If they call again, inform them that you are exercising your right under GDPR Article 21 to be removed from all forms of direct marketing. That is sufficient to have formally informed the organisation of your objection to your data being processed for direct marketing purposes. There should be no need for any further communication whether by phone, letter or private messaging.

Failure to comply would then be a breach of the GDPR.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

I too have started to get these calls starting about 2 weeks ago. 6 times in a day as well, ridiculous this is. I am always wary about answering my mobile with a number showing that is not in my address book. When I looked online to see if I can find out who is calling I was so surprised it appears to be from Virgin marketing/sales, yet I have not accepted that to be allowed to happen. 

Lindsey_C
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi littleme1,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our forums page.

I can confirm this is our sales team trying to get in touch with you.

Are you an existing customer with us? If you are, you can pop onto your online account and change your marketing preferences to stop these calls.

Thanks

Lindsey_C

Hello Lindsey

Yes I am an existing customer. I just checked my online account and the marketing consent is not ticked. 

Lindsey_C
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for checking this for me.

I will be more than happy to look into this further from here fore you, however to be able to do this, I will need some further information from you.

I'll drop you a PM asking for the details required, if you can reply to this for me, I will be more than happy to help.

Thanks

Lindsey_C