cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

286 REPLIES 286

I checked my preferences before I posted the last message and they are set at “no” to marketing.

Okay thanks. What I'll now do, I'll send a quick PM so I can get some details to sort this out.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Whorangme
Joining in

If I'm honest, I usually just report it to that site at Who rang me 

Whorangme
Joining in

I would keep reporting numbers you don't know to the likes of who called and whorangme.co.uk for added measure 

To add my 5p worth, I've just double checked the (last called) number, googled it and found this forum and registered.

I work from home and get a spate of calls from VM marketing every 3-4 weeks for 2 weeks, then they stop.  They ask for my wife who is the account holder.  I'm always polite and tell them she isn't here and can I take a message?  They ask me if I'm authorised for the account and I say NOOOO!  I'm not allowed to do nothing!   Then the call ends. This has been occurring for years.  From the accent I'd say they're based in the Philippines and they're always pretty nice people.  I treat them with respect and they treat me with respect.  I'd recognise another accent and get suspicious if the accent was different.

Last time (apart from today), they told me (quite quickly, up front) that they had a new router for me.  It arrived a few days later and our upload speed doubled and downloads became a LOT quicker (130Mbps instead of 70) at offpeak times.

We missed the free upgrade to the new V6 box early last year and when we rang up afterwards they were going to charge us to upgrade - so that didn't happen.  We have 2 boxes and one is getting old and the drive won't last that much longer. Reading through the forums I can see they are calling customers to upgrade the boxes, so I'll still accept the calls nicely and hopefully one day we'll be able to get UHD.  Who knows - we may even want to pay them more money for new UHD sources - wouldn't that be an efficient way to get us to increase our monthly spend - give the us the equipment to allow us to do it!

I have also been receiving daily calls from this number. I've even tried answering but never anyone there. I just checked my marketing preferences, in both VM and mobile accounts and the sites state 'You have currently said NO to marketing by email, post, SMS and phone from Virgin Media.'

This makes me doubt that this number is a genuine Virgin number and is more likely to be an automated dialling scam.

If it really is Virgin then aren't they breaking Data Protection law by ignoring the information they hold about me on computer? Does this mean someone at Virgin has passed my details on to a marketing company without my consent? Does it mean a marketing company has gained access to the Virgin customer database and is now calling everyone?

Yours sincerely

HD

Hi ynysygwas

The 0800 052 1251 number is a genuine number and is our outbound sales team 

If you like I can look at getting you removed from the dialler 

Hope to hear back from you soon 

Gareth_L

It's just called again today. It rang off as soon as I answered, again. Now I have  08000521251 as a missed call, again. Only just deleted the last load of records.

My preferences are set to not receive these calls so why are they calling? The General Data Protection Regulation change was meant to stop this sort of thing. Should I just report it to the Information Commissioner's Office? Then again, as far as I can make out there are so many people being phoned by this number that if it really is VM sales then the total number of fines could amount to millions, at £500k maximum each! 

Why am I being called on a daily basis by this number that just hangs up when I answer? Twice yesterday and, so far, once today.

I will be abroad next week and don't want this number calling. Who exactly is it? If they really are Virgin sales then they should be sacked before they get the company into big trouble.

Sincerely

HD

I know I'm replying to my own post but I'm sat in a lounge in Reykjavik and this ####ing number just called me again. I even said in my last post I would be abroad this week but still this Virgin sales number keeps intruding. DO I NEED TO TAKE LEGAL ACTION???

Thanks for your post ynysygwas,

Have you made changes to your marketing preferences via your self care account?

This is what you need to do to opt out of these phone calls coming through to you, the process can take up to 30 days to complete but that is the solution to the problem.

David_Bn