cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls from 0800 052 1251

tom-t
Dialled in

Keep receiving calls from this number perporting to be from Virgin Media.

They then ask me to confirm security questions to which my reply has been sorry no - you called me so not divulging that information.

Is this a genuine Virgin Media number as they seem very put out when I refuse to answer the security questions and a few times the caller getting a bit aggresive?

286 REPLIES 286

Hi Michael_JK

Thank you for answering this query.

However, as another poster has suggested for your company's sake, something needs to be done about the style of these calls.

It is the 1 st of November and the number has rang 8 times since the 24th of October. It has also rang twice on the same day and the day after when I actually got to my phone and told the lady, that I was unsure she was from Virgin. As far as I can establish new rules of cold calling say there must be a period of 72 hours between calls and the phone must ring for 15 seconds, both which are not being followed.

To have a foreign sounding female voice ask me immediately for my address and post code, is not acceptable. She is totally unable to tell me anything that can prove she is from Virgin; and why when I have a phone with Virgin, does she ring me on my mobile which is nothing to do with Virgin.

Even if this was a scam I couldn't be rude to the woman as she could be trying to support a family in the 3rd world, with the only way she can; but she wished me a good day and I wished her one too.

If you are going to continue with this, the caller must give you some proof that they are Virgin.

Best Wishes

Malcolm.

Hi npp_home, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear these calls have started again. 

Is there a chance that you have changed your preferences? Even if accidental? 

I can double check these for you for the Cable side of things. 

If you have an active account and we need to speak to you regarding the account then the marketing preferences wouldn't be looked at since it would be an account issue, not a sales call (if that makes sense). 

To check the preferences I will need some information from you. I have sent you a private message. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Speechwriter wrote:

Hi Michael_JK

Thank you for answering this query.

However, as another poster has suggested for your company's sake, something needs to be done about the style of these calls.

It is the 1 st of November and the number has rang 8 times since the 24th of October. It has also rang twice on the same day and the day after when I actually got to my phone and told the lady, that I was unsure she was from Virgin. As far as I can establish new rules of cold calling say there must be a period of 72 hours between calls and the phone must ring for 15 seconds, both which are not being followed.

To have a foreign sounding female voice ask me immediately for my address and post code, is not acceptable. She is totally unable to tell me anything that can prove she is from Virgin; and why when I have a phone with Virgin, does she ring me on my mobile which is nothing to do with Virgin.

Even if this was a scam I couldn't be rude to the woman as she could be trying to support a family in the 3rd world, with the only way she can; but she wished me a good day and I wished her one too.

If you are going to continue with this, the caller must give you some proof that they are Virgin.

Best Wishes

Malcolm.

I'm still not convinced these aren't scammers, they sound nothing like legitimate callers. If it's possible to spoof caller ID, maybe they're spoofing real ones.

Hi Kath_F,

This number is calling me at least twice a day EVERYDAY since 5th Nov which is extremely annoying as this is my work number. The only Virgin service we use is home broadband but that's in my husband's name and I have never registered with Virgin personally or given consent to call, which leads to the question where did you get my number from? The calls only started after we switched to Virgin broadband but my husband certainly did not give my details to Virgin.

Now I'm registered on the TPS (both my work and personal numbers) and it is a legal requirement not to make unsolicited calls to such numbers, therefore can you please stop calling or I will file a formal complaint to the regulatory body.

Yes, that is true but unlike the main Virgin Account it is difficult to find preferences.  It should be a drop down.  Why are the sites different?

smorritt
Tuning in

How about this for a crazy solution...

Stop calling people to trying and upsell them things they don't want and actually let them use the website as it should be to change their contracts. 

I have been "out of contract" for a number of years (broadband only), but when i wanted to look what the prices to get TV etc I wasn't able to check on the website as when I click the link to view my deals it just gives me an error and tells me to call in.  Seems stupid that you can sign up in the first place entirely over the web but can't manage it very well after the fact, and that their solution is to spend money having someone call you at inappropriate times during the day.

Hi,

i've had two calls from this number in the last week.

Last week's call cut off a few seconds after I answered, some muttering then gone.

Today's caller got upset that I wouldn't give out personal / security details to an unknown person calling me on my mobile phone during lunchtime.

Seriously guys, I don't care how important it is to Virgin to get hold of me but either call me on the Virgin phone so you don't need to ask for security details or if you must phone my mobile number (that you were only given for engineers to use when the connection was down) then skip the security questions and assume it's me when I say it is. You're a lot more likely to believe you're through to the person whose number you called than I am to believe a random person calling me is from Virgin when it sounds like they are calling from an Indian call centre and have spoofed a UK 0800 number.

My preferences are already set to not receive marketing or sales calls, yet I'm still receiving them.  Please stop!

Bobertie
Joining in

I have had a number of calls from this number over the past year, and the 4 times I've answered I thought it was a scam as I have not got a virgin account (other than this community account I just created) and they were asking me for my personal details, even after I said I don't have a virgin account. Each time I answered I was very firm and said I no longer wish to be contacted and to remove my number from their calling list (in line with GDPR), yet they still phone back. I am getting really annoyed as I'm unable to block the number, and a few times it has woken me up.

Strange, when I just called your customer service team they told me it was a spam phone number and I should ignore it