cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call from +8001836408

ianchild
Tuning in

I keep getting calls from this number. I think it maybe Virgin but the fact it starts +800 instead of 0800 is concerning me so I dont answer it. Is this a genuine call from Virgin?

43 REPLIES 43

I too have been receiving calls from the above number offering me upgrades/better deals. Also from similar numbers - all starting +8001836 then ending  408, 416, 411  - four or five times a week. I don't give any of my details but shall now block.

I've blocked this number and yet it's still getting through somehow! 

Related (or not) I got a text in my usual VM thread on the 2 March saying that Virgin will be calling me soon to chat about exclusive mobile offers, the 4 March is when this number started calling me.

Dear Stephen_L

Thanks  for confirming this number should be blocked.

Perhaps you can also tell me how I do this on my Virgin Media Fixed line Telephone. 

Kind Regards

Sambasong

See the problem here is, you insist we have to call. I told you when I joined, and I have told you in a signed for letter, that I cannot use the phone for medical reasons. I never even wanted your phone line OR your TV, I only wanted broadband. But that's another matter. You make it damned hard for anyone to contact you unless by phone. This is wrong as you are discriminating against deaf or hard of hearing people, or anyone who has other medical reasons for not using the phone.

I keep getting calls from this number, despite telling you that I wanted to end my supply, and I gave you over a months notice. I also asked you to let me know how to return the equipment. This was all in a letter that included the statement PLEASE EMAIL OR WRITE AS I CANNOT USE THE PHONE FOR MEDICAL REASONS.

No doubt it is your sales team trying to "persuade" me to stay, and take a bigger package. Well, I can't, because I will be living in a van, and I doubt you will supply me a never ending cable in order to stay with you!

Or, it will be your team that have to harass people to reinstate their direct debit. Well, like I told you in my letter, I stopped the direct debit because I got Virgin via moneysavingexpert.com and I was supposed to get £75 cashback at the beginning of the contract. I HAVE NOT HAD THIS so YOU owe ME money!

I doubt I'll get a reply from Virgin to this comment, no doubt it will disappear mysteriously, or you'll phone me to discuss! And YES THE CONTRACT ENDS ON 6TH JUNE SO I WILL BE OUT OF THE CONTRACT.

dragonsour
Joining in

I have now. Funny enough I did an order yesterday and now all of a sudden I get calls from +8001836408 and they knew what I ordered....so who's selling details?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is a genuine VM sales number so isn't necessarily an indication of a data breach.

Caller numbers can be spoofed however.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ironeagleuk
Tuning in

Just heard from my daughter today that she keeps getting calls from "Virgin" wanting to speak to me.  They will have trouble with that as we live 70 miles a part....what's the best course of action to stop her getting these harassing calls while she is attending lectures???

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the post Ironeagleuk.

Is this from a specific number? 

If it's our number please opt out of marketing on your online account.

If this is a spam number please provide this so we can report it and you should have options to block this on the handset.

Thanks, Emily

But if you opt out of marketing, it stops all marketing from emails as well (or it did the last time I tried it) so you can't just opt out of the phone calls.

This is poor that you can't opt out/in for specific type of marketing in my opinion

I just had the same call, from the number starting +800. The lady had a very thick Indian accent, said she could offer me a free hub 4, and to confirm the first line of my address. When I said I would like to phone the virgin number myself to confirm this was genuine, she said she needed to call me back personally. I could barely hear her anyway. 

So was this a genuine call? Or a scam caller faking the number?