Menu
Jack5318008
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Call from 0345 045 0700 legit number?

Hi, I’ve been receiving calls from 0345 045 0700 regarding an upgrade and wanted to check this is a legit virgin media number and not a scam?

I’ve also received emails from the email address - mail@virginmedia.co.uk. The emails look different from the usual webteam@virginmedia.com emails I receive so want to double check this address is also legit

Any help is really appreciated

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Call from 0345 045 0700 legit number?

My usual advice on this:  Could be legit, and might not be.  You should never, ever rely on the displayed number on the handset as evidence of a caller's identity, because it is trivially easy for fraudsters to "spoof" caller line identity systems and cause your phone to show whatever number they want.  They won't intentionally pretend to be Aunt Maud, but they will often cause the handset to display a legitimate number for the business they're pretending to be from.

Always initiate calls yourself if they will involve banking, contractual or any personal data.  And never be browbeaten or taken in by a caller telling you that you have to do something urgently to avoid some unfavourable outcome, even if they know your name and some other personal details.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

And I'm sure the virginmedia.co.uk email address is scammers, because VM is very emphatically a "dotcom".  But likewise, don't trust incoming email.  The low rent scammers are easy to tell, but some of the more organised criminal gangs can generate emails that exceptionally hard to tell from genuine ones, and link to sites that appear just like the company they impersonate.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Jack5318008,

Many thanks for your recent post and welcome to the forums! Thanks for double checking the legitimacy of this number - you never can be too careful these days and Andrew's advice is spot on.

I was able to locate account from the details you've registered to forums with to see if I could help advise further on this call and can see that you have already spoken to an agent who has confirmed that this particular call was genuine. Glad to hear this.

Our agents will always understand if you want to confirm the legitimacy of a call and will be happy for you to call us back to pick up the conversation. However, if anyone does feel they have received a malicious call, we do offer further advice on Dealing With Fraudulent Calls too.

Glad all is OK, and feel free to drop back to the forums if you have any future issues!

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos