Menu
dford2
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Scam

Got a call on the Virgin landline today claiming to be from Virgin Media. The caller was from abroad and had an Indian accent. He declared himself working for Virgin Media and that there were problems with the internet in the area. He asked how many devices were attached to the internet and if we had a laptop. I played along as I had time ..... He asked me to run a speed test. I did, he then told me it was too slow (it was actually a little above the 200mps I pay for) I told him that and he told me the ping had to be below 10 to be good. He then asked me to go to a website (validator) he then asked me to type in ww.netflix.com and tell me the results. He asked me to read the results off the screen to him and then told me my results showed I was having problems and affecting the entire area. At this point I'd played enough and simply told him to F**k off.

Be careful.

0 Kudos
jo1st
Dialled in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Scam

Ditto !

The big problem is how to stop the damn calls.   After I told them to bugger off yesterday the calls kept coming and it got to the stage I was just picking the phone up and immediately putting it down again.  Got my sister a wee bit worried when I hung up on her.

Just before 8am this morning they have started again.

I changed my phone number a few years ago for the very same thing and went ex directory.  Im also registered with TPS.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Similar issue discussed at some length last week in this topic

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Fraud-phone-calls/m-p/4511894#M144059

with various options and workarounds described.

jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

'went ex directory'.

irrelevant. most scams are done overseas. quite a few just work through a list of numbers 000001, 000002 etc. some have names on their list too.

'I'm also registered with TPS'.

it will cut a lot of calls out but plenty of uk based numbers take no notice. they have usually closed down and started up again before any fine is issued. overseas calls would have no knowledge of TPS.

all we can do is be careful, but as long as you and i get scam calls/emails it is because some poor s.. has fallen for it just before. too many fall for it all.
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@jo1st wrote:

Ditto !

The big problem is how to stop the damn calls.   After I told them to bugger off yesterday the calls kept coming and it got to the stage I was just picking the phone up and immediately putting it down again.  Got my sister a wee bit worried when I hung up on her.

Just before 8am this morning they have started again.

I changed my phone number a few years ago for the very same thing and went ex directory.  Im also registered with TPS.

As VM now provide caller ID for free it would be best to get a phone that supports it, then at least you will know when it is your sister or anyone else you know calling and not hang up on them.

Scammers will not respect the TPS and they don't use a phone book to get your number so ex directory doesn't help.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos