cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocklist total exceeded.

sjk19016
Tuning in

Hi

My email blocklist says I have reached its total capacity, why is there a limit and how can it be increased ?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@sjk19016 wrote:

Hi Goslow

Yes could do that, but then the spam email senders that I had blocked would then be unblocked ,so what is the point of the list ?
My question was WHY is there a limit on how many I can add to the list ?  It seems pointless to do that 

Regards

Making spam block lists is similar to trying to make block lists of spam/scam phone numbers. It is a never-ending task and, in many ways, is a little bit pointless.

The email addresses for sending spam are generally only used once or twice before being replaced with another spam email address so, with that in mind, a block list is a bit useless because, once you have blocked an address, the chances are the address will not be used ever again so your block will never be implemented. Blocking a sender is only really useful if the spam is coming from a real person/account rather than automated spam messages.

IMHO, VM's email service is a pretty hopeless offering which has been in gradual decline for a long time. As it stands, new customers cannot create VM email addresses and existing customers cannot add new ones. It doesn't take too much imagination to speculate on a likely direction of travel for VM's email service. They are highly unlikely to be developing it and adding comprehensive new features.

Rather than hoping for further action/improvement from VM, which is unlikely, you'd do better to start the process of migrating your email use over to one of the free, non-ISP email providers who offer better features, better security and better spam filtering.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@sjk19016 wrote:

Hi

My email blocklist says I have reached its total capacity, why is there a limit and how can it be increased ?

Cheers

Would expect you may need to start reducing some of your existing older blocklist entries to make way for current/new ones.

Unsubscribe from all the unwanted marketing messages that are bombarding your email a/c.

Hi Client62

It's not really possible to "unsubscribe" from Spam email senders, which is what my blocklist contains. 

Regards

Hi Goslow

Yes could do that, but then the spam email senders that I had blocked would then be unblocked ,so what is the point of the list ?
My question was WHY is there a limit on how many I can add to the list ?  It seems pointless to do that 

Regards

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@sjk19016 wrote:

Hi Goslow

Regards

Making spam block lists is similar to trying to make block lists of spam/scam phone numbers. It is a never-ending task and, in many ways, is a little bit pointless.

The email addresses for sending spam are generally only used once or twice before being replaced with another spam email address so, with that in mind, a block list is a bit useless because, once you have blocked an address, the chances are the address will not be used ever again so your block will never be implemented. Blocking a sender is only really useful if the spam is coming from a real person/account rather than automated spam messages.

IMHO, VM's email service is a pretty hopeless offering which has been in gradual decline for a long time. As it stands, new customers cannot create VM email addresses and existing customers cannot add new ones. It doesn't take too much imagination to speculate on a likely direction of travel for VM's email service. They are highly unlikely to be developing it and adding comprehensive new features.

Rather than hoping for further action/improvement from VM, which is unlikely, you'd do better to start the process of migrating your email use over to one of the free, non-ISP email providers who offer better features, better security and better spam filtering.

Goslow

All fair and valid points 👍

I was really only pursuing this with regard to my blueyonder account which is still in very limited use and is the source of pretty much 90% of any spam I get. I'll be looking to remove it from where ever I can. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Best Regards 

Hey sjk19016, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear about this.

Did any of the above information help at all?

Please do let us know. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Matt

Yes, useful in confirming that the Virgin email system is a complete waste of space and not worth using.

Thanks