Menu
JohnB14
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Are the Virgin Media Scammers out in force today?

I have recently upgraded my Fibre Broadband package from 100mbps to 360mbps.

This morning Mon 5th April at 9.28am I received a phone call from 0139279xxxxfrom a Virgin Media technician (so they said) informing me that there was  a problem with my broadband speed. Apparently, my speed keeps increasing and then decreasing and that the problem needs to be solved. It appears, from the technician, that the lights on my router keep flashing notifying Virgin Media of a problem.

I was asked what colour light was currently flashing on my router. I said the only light is a 'white' there are no flashing lights and that everything was working perfectly. It can't be working perfectly, I was told, because Virgin Media are receiving error messages from your unit to say that there is a problem.

The Virgin Media technician was of Asian origin and, frankly, I couldn't understand half of what he was saying combine that with the fact that, when i answered the phone the line was completely silent for at least 30 seconds, even though I kept saying 'Hello'

Those two things immediately put me on alert and I immediately ended the phone call.

At 10am I received another call. This time the caller with-held their number. It was and Asian guy again asking me how I was I replied, 'don't tell me, you're from Virgin Media?' He immediately slammed the phone down.

Another call was logged at 10 51am from 0186557xxxx. The same thing again; there appears to be a problem with my internet connection. I ended the call.

Another call at 11.44am from 0177258xxxx again from an Asian guy insisting that I had a problem with my internet and that it wouldn't be fixed unless I gave them access to my router. I simply said, 'This is a scam' and he slammed the phone down.

Just be vigilant when answering phone calls purporting to originate from Virgin Media.

Mod edit - numbers edited as cloned genuine business numbers

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Are the Virgin Media Scammers out in force today?

this not a call from Virgin media. they are known scams. just hang up
DizzieKittie
Just joined
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

We have had a similar call today  (on our Virgin landline) Caller stated there was a problem with our router and service would be disconnected shortly. Quite Convincing at first until my husband asked them to confirm the name of the account holder and they got it wrong. The Number the call was from was 01268 703187

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

the number the scammers used are fake.
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

its simple - VM do NOT contact customers for problems like this - start with that FACT and join the dots up

Tony
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The numbers in the OPs post all belong to genuine businesses & have been cloned by the scammers. I have asked for these to be removed for obvious reasons.

The number in post 3 is not allocated to any user, so this one is fake.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the Community Forums, JohnB14

Sorry that you have been getting these calls, here are some ways at safeguarding against nuisance calls https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-nuisance-calls 

Or scam calls please check here:  https://www.virginmedia.com/help/fraudulent-calls

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos