cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Extender won't connect- despite being connected fine before.

Pekoko
On our wavelength

Hi guys, "little" bit of background-

I was having some major connection issues a few months ago, got an engineer around, he offered to replace our hub3 modem with a hub4. It didn't fix the speed issue, but I did have an old wifi extender I had forgot about.

The Engineer told me to hold the connect button on the extender whilst he went downstairs to fiddle with the new modem to get it to connect to the extender.

It connected without much issue, and my internet speed easily doubled from what it was without it.

Now, a few nights ago I had a bit of trouble with the internet again, I assume it must've been a maintenance or something. During which time, I unplugged the wifi extender in an attempt to get back into the game I was playing quicker, hoping that'd fix it. 

Ever since, I've not been able to connect using my wifi extender.

So I'm back to half speed.

My question to you all is the following: What did the engineer do at the router to make it connect properly?

My setup is currently, the extender plugged in upstairs, modem/router downstairs. An ethernet cable from my modem into my computer. The extender connects to the modem wirelessly.

The model of the extender is a TPlink RE200, and the modem is a hub4.
I tried pressing the WPS button on the back of the router but it doesn't seem to work.

Windows diagnostics is saying there's an error obtaining IP configuration, but even when I enter this info manually, I still cannot connect via the extender/ethernet

Sorry for the long-winded explaination!

Elly

10 REPLIES 10

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try resetting the extender and move it beside the Hub 4.  Use WPS to connect the two.  Once they are paired, move the extender back to it's original location.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Pekoko
On our wavelength

Whilst that would usually be fine, it's literally just a plug.

So if I were to reset it and take it to the router, I'd have to unplug it, therefore losing the information of the router in the process.

I'll give it a go but I'm not confident

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Reading the manual suggests this can be done. Don’t forget the extender still needs to be within WiFi range of the Hub, otherwise it can’t extend the signal. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Pekoko
On our wavelength

This didn't work.

infact, when it synced up back upstairs I lost connection entirely until i unplugged the extender again, then it immediately came back on.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post @Pekeko, and I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you've been having with the Wi-Fi extender.

Is it possible to relocate the extender into a different plug socket, or possibly a different room that will also cover the same area of the property to see if this combats this issue?

Can you confirm if these are Virgin Media Wi-Fi boosters/pods, or if these have been purchased from a third party retailer?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Pekoko
On our wavelength

They're third party, and worked perfectly find a week ago. It's always served me quite well.

My Pc is about 3meters above the router,(just through a ceiling) so the fact even other PCs in the house, halfway across the house, get a better wifi connection than me is absolutely baffling.

Can't exactly move it as the only Ethernet cables I have access to currently are short-ranged ones.

As I said before, I've narrowed it down to the extender not gaining the proper information from the hub, as if I'm connecting the two wrong. Just want some advice on how to do so. Do I hold the buttons? Press them? Both at the same time? Who knows. Some help like that is what I am looking for.

Hi @Pekoko,

Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately, we are unable to assist with troubleshooting third party equipment.

Apologies for any inconvenience. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Pekoko
On our wavelength

And yet your engineer set it up perfectly.

I had absolutely no trouble setting it up with the previous router of yours. I just want to know how to connect it to the new one. Which is, again, your equipment.

I just want some advice? Why are you making this so difficult constantly? Every time I come on here with a question it's a million more questions fired back at me that I put in my main post that clearly no one has read.

Your engineer set it up. Now it doesn't work. HOW do I connect your router to my thing. It's literally the same make and model extender that you guys work with. I just have had it from a different source. Is the company really so selfish they won't even help a paying customer just because of ONE piece of equipment I didn't get from you?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Maybe look at getting your own router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------