cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why isn't wifi showing on network list?

AliBen
Joining in

A friend came round and our network isn't showing on her laptop or phone. But it is showing up on mine. 

Any advice so visitors can pop in our wifi

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@AliBen wrote:

A friend came round and our network isn't showing on her laptop or phone. But it is showing up on mine. 

Any advice so visitors can pop in our wifi

Set up a guest network for your visitors so that they can connect to that and not your own home network

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/how-to-set-up-a-guest-network

Ideally set up one guest name for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz with separate names, then your guests can choose one to match their device.

Thanks for the reply. 

That doesn't explain why the network isn't even showing though does it? 

Having SSID broadcast disabled on a 3rd party Router would prevent your WiFi from being seen.

Having WPA3 enabled on a Hub 5 has caused problems too.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@AliBen wrote:

Thanks for the reply. 

That doesn't explain why the network isn't even showing though does it? 

Could be many and various reasons. Most simple to check is that some devices don't like a combined SSID, if you are using VM's default setup. Splitting the SSID on a guest network may allow the device to see either/or the 2.4 / 5 GHz networks separately but without making those changes to your home network/setup.

We should admit the devices that most frequently don't work correctly with "combined SSID" are VM's Hubs in Router mode.

Imagine a 2.4Ghz only phone, laptop etc, it can not be distracted by a 5Ghz signal, it does not have a chipset or antennae for that band.

Hey AliBen, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear your friend couldn't use your WIFI when they was round.

As mentioned this could be lots of reasons, the good thing is that you can see it.

It could the device, she could of WIFI blocked. 

Is this the first and only time and device this has happened to? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?