cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to find pre-pull date?

martin9595
On our wavelength

I really need to be here when the pre-pull team arrive because there will be an issue over how to route the cable, which they will need info from me. It's a short private leg with 4 houses off it just off the main street, so the cable would go past 2 other houses.  It's fine, there is a strip of grass where the cable can be buried, neighbours are fine with it and we actually plan on removing the grass in the summer anyway.  Also want the box on a specific location, ie to the garage.  

Looked in my account and can only see the install date, 10th March.

I've read too many stories about the pre-pull team cancelling, so I want to answer their questions on the day to avoid this.  Thanks!

40 REPLIES 40

OK, so an update. Thanks Gareth for passing this one on.  The area manager called me and he is familiar with the estate and explained that it a system called PIA (public infrastructure access)  which means they won't need to dig and will use the openreach ducts instead. We were both looking at google maps and he had a look around the layout and doesn't see any issues.  The PIA system is new as of the latter part of last year, you just need to speak to someone with knowledge and he doesn't see an issue with the pre-installation which is meant to happen tomorrow.  Also, on the point about only being able to have gig1 but only being able to order 350 to start with he says the gigabit infrastructure is in place already and sees no reason why it wouldn't be available. 

That is all I wanted, to speak to somoene who can provide me with information I've sat at home for 3 days for nothing. It really shouldn't involve customer to have to be a nuisance to get things moving. 

The cable pullers have just arrived at my house, they said it shouldn't take long. 

....and all done! Cable in through openreach duct, no issues or drama whatsoever.  James the account manager for area 11 is an absolute legend virgin media should clone him!  Huge thanks to Gareth_L in forum team, can you please make sure James' manager receives the feedback and credit he deserves, and a pay rise! 

Hi Martin,

Thank you for reaching out to us and for the feedback, I have fed this back to Gareth and will also send in regards to James, really glad to hear you have now been able to get your cable re-pulled, if you have any further issues please do not hesitate to reach back out.

Regards

Paul.

An update for anyone interested or who is following (unlikely!). Further to this, Area manager offered to bring the install forward a week, I said this was way beyond expectations but he insisted, and I got the feeling they wanted to see how the first install of the estate went. Install was meant to happen on 10th and I was happy to wait, but installer came out and installed the brown box on the outside and installed hub 3, but there was an issue. The fibre to coax converter should have had a green light but was showing red.  So, again, James got the cable pullers back out the same day and he even came to my house to supervise.  They had not tested the fibre when it went in as they "broke their tester that day", so a new fibre was blown through and a green light. It's been installed for a couple of days now and seems fine so far.  So, a lot of work by a lot of people in 1 day.  I am sure the doubters had good intentions telling me it would be an impossible/too expensive install and would "never happen", but I always say never take no from someone who doesn't have the authority to say yes and don't give up. 

When I ordered the maximum speed available was 350. I asked James about that too and he said there was no reason why gig1 wasn't available, but they seem to default to 350 max for new areas, he is arranging to have that changed, said it should be done by Monday then I can upgrade to gig1.  I hope there are no issues, as I only went with 350 because it was all they could offer, and had to take a SIM card and phone line both of which I will never use, so hope it will be straightforward to upograde and I don't end up paying more than I should have had I been able to order just the gig1 from day one. Also, I realise the hib 4 will be needed for gig1, but apparently you only get a hub4 when you place an order for that speed as there is a short supply of hub 4s. Despite all the issues people are having I actually hope I get the hub 5 for the 2.5 gigabit port. 

Thanks for coming back to us @martin9595 and I'm glad to hear that you have been installed with our services right now. I can see from the system that you have spoken to the team  yesterday about your upgrade and they have advised that its not possible at this time.

Have the team given you a timeline for when this will be available or have they advised that they dont know?

Regards,

Steven_L 

Hi Stephen, thanks for the reply and follow up.  No I still haven't been able to upgrade the area manager told me that the system would be updated by yesterday. 

They weren't able to upgrade me, and told me to call back and log a fault. I was on the phone for 45 minutes and first was told upload speed in my area was only 20 Mbit so gig1 wasn't available but when I pointed out I'm already getting nearly double that on speed tests and real world test uploads to Dropbox and OneDrive that was quietly dropped. I was then told it was definitely available and that their systems still haven't been updated and they didn't know when.

I also have issues with the hub 3 restarting randomly which she offered to have replaced with another hub 3 but it doesn't make sense at the moment if I'll get a hub 4 with gig1. I'm keen to order the upgrade. I do have the area managers mobile number but obviously don't really want to contact him direct and arrange this through official channels, but one of the last texts I have from him said the speed profile at my address would be updated by yesterday. 

Thanks, Martin

I think this is sorted out now. Managed to order gig1, I'll need to cancel the O2 sim as I never really wanted this anyway, just had to take it when ordering 350 to get the price down, still within the 14 days.  She said a new hub would be sent out, for a self install. 

If you're taking about a Volt package, surely you have to pay for the O2 SIM during the contract period.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I'm not on a volt package now it's been changed to gig1 with a phone line, I'm also still in the 14 day cooling off period from the original order. They told me to cancel it and offered to put me through to that department but I didn't have time today.