Menu
reflex1234
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Where can I get a longer coax cable from?

Sorry, I'm not sure on the exact name of the cable that goes from the access point to the router - coax maybe?

Anyway, I recently had virgin installed.  I want to move the hub towards a central location in the house because the walls and solid and the signal is poor on the opposite side to where the hub is now.  So I need a longer cable.  I noticed the cable has a thick section, around 7cm long, like there is some kind of device (a safety feature, or something to change the signal?) built into the cable.  So presumably I need a longer cable that also has this device built into it?

I also need to get a longer power lead that will plug into the psu.  This has two round pins, which I've seen before, so I think I should be able to find this with a big of searching, but if anyone happens to know exactly what I need and where to get it I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any help

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Where can I get a longer coax cable from?

the PSU you can get a DC extension. however you can not modify the VM coax. you'll need to get VM to replace the coax cable

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Ann_Droid
Up to speed
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi

The 7 cms long aluminium bit?

Does it screw type fastenings?  It could be an attenuator to "control" the signal.

Surely an extension cable with a 13a plug and socket could solve the power lead problem?

Perhaps pictures of the solid bit in the cable?

All is Calm
0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

If it's just your WiFi coverage that's a problem I suggest you leave the router where it is and purchase a wireless mesh system.

This purchase will be an investment since it can be used with other broadband suppliers if you decide to move from VM in future.

I'm sure many people here can suggest possibilities based on experience.

(The device embedded in your existing coax is an isolator and is essential to maintain good performance of you modem)

0 Kudos
reflex1234
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for the replies

Not sure why I can't reply to the thread without replying to a specific person but anyway..

I have attached a picture of what I mean re: the cable.  It's dissapointing if indeed I need to do this through virgin which I assume would be at quite a cost?  Anyone know how much and how I'd actually do this?  

For the power an extension lead would work but obviously quite a bit bulkier than just running the much thinner black cable.

Wifi mesh might be an option but I've already purchased extenders, powerline adaptors and all sorts to compensate for my previous poor adsl broadband.  I thought virgin would be better but alas no.

Many thanks

Dan

IMG_20200711_194037.jpg

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The hub 3 is pretty crap at WiFi so the best solution is your own WiFi. 

If you want a longer coax it needs an engineer to check levels again etc so it'll be £99

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The cable has an inline safety isolator. These are only provided in a fixed length. Anything else is non standard & has to be made up by a Virgin tech on-site. It is against t&c’s to make any DIY alterations as the installation has to be immune to any ingress from local Freeview TV or DAB radio transmissions as they use the same frequencies as Virgin. The cable is specifically produced for this purpose. The cost will be a standard £99 to include all the cabling/connectors & any adjustments that are required in the street cabinet to balance the levels of the longer run. If you had wanted this alteration at the actual time of the install this would have cost considerably less.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
reflex1234
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for further replies

I did say to the engineer that I might want to put it upstairs, for the very reason of the poor WiFi signal. It is having it upstairs that's the problem as this is where I need a longer cable. He said that to do that is fine, I just need to switch the coax connection in the cellar. I wish now obviously that I would have thought to ask for a longer cable if I wanted to do that. It is now plugged in upstairs but the way, but awkwardly just inside the bedroom door. Partly my fault for not insisting he install it upstairs, but also I feel like he made it seem like putting it upstairs myself wouldn't be an issue. Surely the ultra short coax cable should have registered. Ho hum. I'm certainly not paying £99 for them to fix a longer cable to it.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Leave the virgin box in its original location. Buy a WiFi router £50 and put it where you think is best. Run ethernet cable from the virgin box to the the WiFi box. Job done. 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

If the wifi signal is poor because of the original placement of the hub and the constraint of a short cable, that's VM's fault, not yours.  I don't think that shoving the hub in a corner on a short cable and constraining the wireless signal counts as the "reasonable skill and care" required of service providers by the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

The installers should know that there's often a case for moving a hub a couple of metres to optimise wifi or fit in with room changes, and do what was done with mine, which has about three metres of coax.  You have to coil it and use cable ties if you don't need the full length, but means there's always the option of moving it as furniture and room layout change.

Maybe the forum staff can intervene and get a cable sent out to you, if not then search read and follow the VM Consumer Complaints Code of Practice, asking for VM to supply a longer cable since the problem is of their making.  Write, or use the web form, don't phone the complaint in - you probably know what a disaster trying to talk to VM on the phone is.

0 Kudos