cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media available across the road but not here

Purifiedbyfire
Joining in

I moved into this house just over 3 months ago, before moving I checked to see if VM was available. According to comparethemarket it was. I know I should have checked the VM site. 

My main concern is that there is VM services available on the street just across the road. I could probably connect to their WiFi if I knew the password. That's how close they are. 

As VM is already installed in the surrounding area there is no chance of any other ISP providing fibre here. 

15 REPLIES 15

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Purifiedbyfire, 

Thank you for your post 🙂

I am sorry to hear we are not available in your street, is it just your street?

Zoie

Yep, I believe the houses in my street are newer than the ones across the road but not exactly new houses either. 
I've had a few calls from VM due to DMs on here, I think the next step is someone coming out to survey the area

Hi @Purifiedbyfire thanks for your confirmation and reply.

Okay yes that would seem the logical next step, can you please confirm if we've said someone is coming out to survey the area or if you're requesting if that can be done?

Many thanks

Tom_W

I believe that I've been put down to receive a call about getting someone out for a survey

Thank you for the update @Purifiedbyfire.

In this case, please try calling our pre-installation team on 0800 052 1734 who can investigate this for you and provide an update.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I know it's been a couple of months but I've tried calling the provided number and they just tell me that "back office" will be in touch. I've had zero contact in several months.

Is there any way I can go about actually getting someone to come out and survey the street?

Hey there @Purifiedbyfire, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to you're still waiting on a spotter to look to see if we can get everything services.
When you spoke with pre-installs - as that was the advice given, are they the one's who said it's with the back office?
Let us know.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Yeah, I phoned the number given and got transferred around. 

Was told that someone should be in contact and they wouldn't provide any more details. 

There's a fixed budget for new connections, and anything that involves digging across a public road usually comfortably exceeds that allowance (I guess around £600 tops).  There's cost and effort in council permits for new infrastructure (£££), traffic management costs, job mobilisation costs for civil contractors - simply digging a narrow trench across a tarmac road and reinstating to highway grade is probably around £250 per metre these days, then you've got to dig across two pavements as well.  The cost of the household installation itself (laying cable across the garden, wall connection box, drilling and supply of a VM hub is probably around £100 on their own).

I'm guessing somebody's looked at a map and realised they can't do it within the budget, and so there's little point sending out spotters and or a works surveyor but organisationally VM are incapable of customer communication on anything, and particularly reasons that they won't connect customers.  Things might change if you can get multiple neighbours to commit in writing that they'd take VM services as the cost per property of the whole job will be lower, but even then VM are very poor at any type of special arrangements, and there's probably a need for an access chamber or two on your side of the road, adding say £200 per pop.

Sometimes they can connect by running a VM cable through existing Openreach ducts which would avoid most of the digging costs, but that's not done universally and relies on their being Openreach ducts in suitable places, and space in those ducts.  I don't hold out much hope of this being a solution for you.

I could be wrong, I think you should consider that VM probably isn't an option, because no matter how small a job it looks to you, anything involving streetworks is expensive.