Menu
mazak23
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin hub. Can I move data between different routers

Hi. I have new router and it is working fine. But have some settings in old router, stored in router.data file. When I want to upload to new one it says: 

IMPORT FAILED: File not recognised

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin hub. Can I move data between different routers

you can't import setting between different hubs. the sh2 is not compatible with the sh3

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
mazak23
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

But between same?

If they are both S3?

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

specifically what settings are you wanting to transfer?
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

it should work but with the number of things wrong with the hub 3 who knows 🙂

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
mazak23
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Names of all my equipment connected - more than 10 - now you will ask what is that and what for?
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@mazak23 wrote:
Names of all my equipment connected - more than 10 - now you will ask what is that and what for?

why would you assume that? don't assume i'm an idiot!

now, what i would is that in the 3 hours from when you started the thread you could have probably just re-entered the device names in the new hub.

VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If they both have the same firmware versions then you should be able to export from one and import to another without issue.

Your asking if it will work if they are both Hub3, but you didn't state specifically that both are Hub3, are they?

I don't think there's more than one hardware version of the Hub3, but if there is then there's a chance that one couldn't export and be imported to another.  The things like Serial Number, MAC Addresses, BPI+ are baked into the unit.

Did you try editing the file, or saving it with some odd extension?  Windows has a lovely way of changing extension names.

It's probably easier (in the long run) for you to just put all of the information in again.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
horseman
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@VMCopperUser wrote:

If they both have the same firmware versions then you should be able to export from one and import to another without issue.

Your asking if it will work if they are both Hub3, but you didn't state specifically that both are Hub3, are they?

I don't think there's more than one hardware version of the Hub3, but if there is then there's a chance that one couldn't export and be imported to another.  The things like Serial Number, MAC Addresses, BPI+ are baked into the unit.

Did you try editing the file, or saving it with some odd extension?  Windows has a lovely way of changing extension names.

It's probably easier (in the long run) for you to just put all of the information in again.

That's not completely accurate as VM  (not unsurprisingly as your past 8 yrs registration on this website should have indicated)  are continually testing different SH3/SH4 models with both hardware and firmware variants.

Most previous (Netgear) SuperHub major point releases would not "parse" binary config backups either and certainly with Arris SH3/Hub 3 even minor hub firmware point releases weren't ALWAYS guaranteed migratable either.SU's raised this ("lack of parsing template" and many/most other) issues for last 9yrs yet you'll find same recurring symptoms already on community but eventually of course "value add" and "complexity of training" L1/L2 support meant at least 4 SU's  have resigned/suffered banning over the years by continually raising these issues and also CONSTANTLY reminding users  to "browse/search" forum/archives to avoid "wasting" both "contributors" and "forum support" time.

So unfortunately due to both understandable "implied NDA/confidentiality of Trials" and recent more asinine "political interpretations/punitive consequences of  attempting to assist community despite higher forum management leverage/embarrassment" I can't/won't personally elaborate further on current "active" Trial details.  😞 

However just as you suspected I can't (yet) migrate binary config (router.data)  backups between two VMDG505 SH3/Hub3's with different hardware versions (yet SAME  firmware/software version!).  Thus I suggest using both inbuilt "backup" function BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY "screen shot" of each firmware point release (advanced) configuration display screen.

I'd also suggest that full hardware and software versioning(and sometimes the CM config file name) be always included with "D/S-U/S signal" and "network" logs. In the (hopefully unlikely) event my post get's deleted  then I'll apologise in advance for any/all PM's that duplicate this post.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
0 Kudos