Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Gig1 Service - VM Dropped the ball?

@Tudor wrote:

Port aggregation of 2 ports at 1G does not give 2G. It gives two parallel 1G ports which is not the same.

Good to know - I misunderstood what that meant. I guess I'm off to do some reading 😉

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 12 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Well it could all kick off next year when more providers bring 1gb broadband equipment out. I'd say the challengers are cm hyper optic and bt. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 40
Flag for a moderator

@Z92 wrote:

Well it could all kick off next year when more providers bring 1gb broadband equipment out. I'd say the challengers are cm hyper optic and bt. 

Currently kit from both of those comes with 1Gb ports.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 14 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Yes I agree that's why I said next year 😁

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 15 of 40
Flag for a moderator

When the Hub4 was first released. It was already yesterdays technology.

So I guess this is the point where a hub will have the shortest ever lifespan. What is the point of VM making headline grabbing 8Gb tests when the latest hub cannot deliver 2Gb.

There is an upside to this. Maybe VM will stop concentrating on speed and look to their service offering to improve customer numbers. As Openreach and others continue to roll out FTTP. a 1Gb service will become more universally available and VMs much lauded speed advantage no longer relevant.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 40
Flag for a moderator

@Timwilky wrote:

When the Hub4 was first released. It was already yesterdays technology.

That's not true though. The Hub 4 was approved by the WiFi Alliance in September 2017, so it's been around for over 2 years already, and would have a design process before then.

https://www.wi-fi.org/content/search-page?keys=TG3492LG

The first draft Wireless 6 (ax) hardware wasn't released until late 2016, so the Hub 4 couldn't be designed to include hardware and technology that didn't exist at scale and Intel's ax hardware wasn't released till 2018. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ax#Silicon

Same for 2.5Gb - that standard wasn't approved until September 2016 - so hardware wouldn't have been available at that stage - https://standards.ieee.org/standard/802_3bz-2016.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 17 of 40
Flag for a moderator

It may be current - But it's full of F/W flaws and issues. 

There is one easy solution here. But VM refuses to do it. GIVE THE CUSTOMERS A CHOICE - Yes for 99% of customers the home hub will be fine (unless you read VM's twitter pages where people have nothing but issues with it) 

But for that other 1% of customers who I am one of, GIVE US the choice to have business-grade hardware, but charge us for it and no I don't mean the crap HITRON CGNV4 (that's about as good as the home hub) The kit you install for leased lines is 100% spot on. 

Give the customer the option! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 18 of 40
Flag for a moderator

With bt you can have a bt home hub or buy your own which plugs directly onto the same socket as the hh. 

What would be nice is if vm did the same. You can use our hub for free or you can purchase your own cable modem. Just tell us the mac to register into our system. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 19 of 40
Flag for a moderator

@Z92 wrote:

With bt you can have a bt home hub or buy your own which plugs directly onto the same socket as the hh. 

What would be nice is if vm did the same. You can use our hub for free or you can purchase your own cable modem. Just tell us the mac to register into our system. 

That's what Modem Mode is for.

As the Virgin Media home phone service also goes via the phone sockets on the back of the Hub you are not going to be able to swap then entire Hub out for a different one.

Also there is no UK supply chain for EuroDOCSIS kit as both Virgin Media and WightCable supply the kit to their customers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 20 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Yes i forget about the phone line I've not used one for many years since mobile phone tariffs started offering bundled minutes. I remember finding a telephone box was cheaper than using your mobile! 

0 Kudos