cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM engineer not installing second box

gurpswu
Dialled in

VM engineer at my house now to install my new package. I'm a new customer on ultimate volt which comes with two TV boxes.

however he is saying my outhouse where I want the second box will need new cable laid down as the existing cable enters the front of my house via the living room. he's saying it's too far for the coax.

I was told I'd get two boxes on the property though now it seems like that isn't the case.

he said it would be possible to use VM's new "stream box" which doesn't require coax and works over WiFi instead, but that id need to put to get VM to add that to my package.

please find a solution asap.

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You need to call in and discuss this with the "change package" team.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @gurpswu 

I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to get the Stream set top box. This is only available to customers that don't already have a TV service with VM, and is limited to one per household.

You would need a new cable to provide the coaxial point for the outhouse.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Yes as @newapollo say, the Streambox is out of the question. It does sound quite a strange excuse, is there a brown (usually) box on the outside front wall where the cable comes up from underground and then goes into your house? That's where it would split, one going into the house and another one running round the outside of the house to the outbuilding. Roughly how far would that be?

Might be an issue balancing the power levels, but unless it is a really long way then it should be possible. 

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

If you've got another building in your garden that would need a cable burying in a trench then yeah it's a bit unreasonable to expect the tech who turns up on the day to install here. 

Yes, brown box is present on the front of my house.

It houses a splitter that takes an input as the cable from the road, and then two outputs. one goes to my router, and another goes to my box.

to fix the issue, we added another splitter which takes 1 input from underground, sends 1 output to my garden out house's second set top box, and the other output goes to the other splitter i mentioned above.

so far so good.

internet is stable, so power levels must be ok?