cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM box but no TV socket

stevee17
Joining in

I have just moved to a new house and signed up to virgin broadband but not TV. For that I have a regular smart TV for Freeview. The problem is that if I connect the router to the VM wall socket then there is no socket left for the TV. I have a roof top aerial with cable running down the house that appears to end at the VM box so I'm confused as to why there's only one socket. Is it possible an engineer repurposed the standard TV aerial socket?  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if you have traced that cable end to a roof top aerial then it would seem whoever intsalled that used the hole that VM had used to pass their cable through after removing it - but thats an F type connector and i did not think that was used for aerial connectors so maybe something is pushed inside the wall for the aerial and that is indeed for VM - it certainly looks useful

add to that the phone cable comes through the same hole which again suggests its a VM install

to test further connect the cable that came with the quickstart kit to that - it should push or screw on - there a connector there to allow that and see if the BB works

if you trace the phone wire outside that should go to an external box - check if there is any other wire coming from it thats either cut or the other end of the cable you show

depending on the answers to that will depend if you need a tech to sort out a cut VM wire or if you need to find the aerial wire

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

stevee17
Joining in

IMG_20220507_134314.jpg

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if you have traced that cable end to a roof top aerial then it would seem whoever intsalled that used the hole that VM had used to pass their cable through after removing it - but thats an F type connector and i did not think that was used for aerial connectors so maybe something is pushed inside the wall for the aerial and that is indeed for VM - it certainly looks useful

add to that the phone cable comes through the same hole which again suggests its a VM install

to test further connect the cable that came with the quickstart kit to that - it should push or screw on - there a connector there to allow that and see if the BB works

if you trace the phone wire outside that should go to an external box - check if there is any other wire coming from it thats either cut or the other end of the cable you show

depending on the answers to that will depend if you need a tech to sort out a cut VM wire or if you need to find the aerial wire

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Many thanks for the reply!

Having checked the outside of the property, there is indeed a cable coming from the roof that has been cut, but I don't see any cut cables from a box. Could  I use a generic splitter to split the signal from the VM box to my virgin broadband and my smart TV?

- Steve

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You cannot use the VM cable to supply a standard TV signal, you must use an aerial. They are completely different signals.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

it sounds like the BB cable is there so try the connection to the hub - the cable from the aerial is easier to mend - unlike VM where you would have to get a tech out you can repair the cut cable 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi, thanks. But if that's the case, then why do I get a perfect TV signal if I plug my smart TV into the virgin wall socket? That's why I was wondering about getting a splitter. Thanks

Thanks. I think that when previous residents moved to virgin TV, the engineer used the existing hole for the TV socket, and replaced the coaxial socket with virgin cable. Hence, why I no longer have a TV socket despite a large aerial on the roof. Virgin tech support aren't very interested - I was told they could send a splitter if it I also had virgin TV, but not a regular smart TV. I'm reluctant to activate the broadband if it means I have to pay someone to get a TV socket installed. Seems cheaper to use the 14 day cooling off period and go with a non cable supplier.

If the property has a Virgin socket, it must have been connected at some point previously.

Call in and ask for Engineer visit to reconnect to Virgin Network?

Virgin BB 55MB, Hub 3, Tenda Router, Stream Box - United Artists/Telewest/VM Since 1990

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @stevee17,

Welcome, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issue you are facing.

I will send you a private message, as we need to arrange a manned install rather than a quick starter install.

Please look out for a purple envelope. 

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide