Menu
Adie91
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ultimate Oomph (New Install)

Hi,

New VM customer and first time poster here. Tried looking for the answer to my question but couldn’t find one specific to my situation.

I have Ultimate Oomph being installed next week, main 360 box & router going in ground floor living room and mini 360 box going in downstairs room. I understand the mini 360 box has no HDD so it “streams” any recorded shows from the main box. I would rather this was done via ethernet instead of using wi-fi/powerline so my question is; is the engineer obliged to do this for me bearing in mind the ethernet length required would be around 10m between the box locations? I understand he needs to run a second coax cable to the mini 360 box anyway so hoping it won’t be an issue running an ethernet through the same holes in the walls?

My second follow up question is would the engineer be able to tidy up (remove) the inactive cables from the previous owners VM set up? There is a splitter and white plastic box in the corner of our living room which we are about to decorate and would like removed. I have the floorboards up so hoping the engineer can run any active cables under the floor to keep things tidy.

Many thanks in advance for any answers or advice.

Cheers

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ultimate Oomph (New Install)

Hi Adie91

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I'll be honest, I doubt they'll use Ethernet for the 2nd box as it's not something they do normally do and also the distance to run I don't think we supply cables that long also. I know from my recent install the 2nd box is connected via wireless but I do have the option of a Powerline. 

The 2nd question - you can ask them if they can do but normally this is seperate to an install and would require a callout charge to remove this. However you can also ask the visiting engineer at the time.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

Adie91
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply John. Suppose I’ll just need to keep my fingers crossed and ask the Engineer on the day what can/can’t be done. Appreciate the heads up.

Cheers 👍

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cheers let us know how the install goes or if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Adie91
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Install went smoothly. Engineers do carry ethernet cables but only shorter lengths however I was able to run my own using the same holes while the engineer ran the Virgin cable.

Furthermore, I was able to have the white box (isolator) under the floorboard.

One happy customer so far 👍

Now, back to decorating the living room... 😴

Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Adie91 wrote:

Install went smoothly. <snip> 

Nice to hear a good report for a change, your engineer deserves a bonus 🙂 

Also good call about installing ethernet, beats wifi hands down on every occasion. As I say, if it can be wired, it should be wired.

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That's great to hear @Adie91!

Thanks so much for letting us know, and if you should have any further issues please don't hesitate to post back to the forums and we will do all we can to hep! Thank you again.

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide