Menu
gpsbrook
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

To cancel or renew?

Hi.

My broadband contract came to and end in March which seen the monthly cost virtually double.

Virgin Media have been relatively good in the past when it comes to offering a renewal at a discount however, despite the current situation, I'm not willing to spend over a hour to get through to someone.

Therefore I thought I'd write to them instead serving them the required 30 days notice in the hope that I may get contacted from their retentions department.

They received my letter on Monday 22nd June (sent via recorded delivery). As yet, I've yet to hear from them.

My question is how much longer do I leave it before engaging with an alternative provider.

It would be easier to stay with Virgin Media, but equally I've no qualms about switching.

Thank you for any responses received.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: To cancel or renew?

Check your online account they may have already actioned your cancellation. 

I'd start engaging with a new provider now. You can always cancel in the 14 day cooling off period if you decide for some reason to stay with virgin. 

To be honest though unless you require the speed you won't notice much difference and then after your contract is up virgin will welcome you back as a new customer with new discounts. 

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ooh dear, if you wanted to stay then cancelling during Covid perhaps wasn't the best tactic.  It can work, but it is not without risk. 

Ordinarily you would expect an outbound call from retentions.  But with the severe pressure on customer operations due to Covid, you can't rely on that - and in some cases VM are quietly happy to see customers leave if it eases local capacity issues, or the customer only takes a basic package that generates low revenues.  It is possible that they've just set your contract to terminate thirty days after they opened the letter.  I've seen a number of posts where people have cancelled as a tactic, and then made a last desperate post here when retentions haven't phoned, and there are mere hours or even minutes before they are disconnected ("I felt a minor tremble in the Force … as if a single voice suddenly cried out in terror, and was suddenly silenced")

If you want to lay in an Openreach (or other) ISP line you're now cutting it very fine, and I would suggest that you immediately research what deals you'd get elsewhere (including reading Trustpilot reviews from other customers), and with that knowledge you then take the pain and phone VM and ask to speak to the retentions team.  You may have to try repeatedly to get through, and you won't get as good a deal on an inbound call to retentions, but all depends on how seriously you want to hold out for the biggest discount versus the risk of a week or two with no internet.

If you do need an Openreach connection, at least consider the smaller ISPs like Aquiss, AAISP, Zen Internet and Uno.  They have far better customer service than any of the large ISPs, and you'll probably get much better information on the provisioning of an Openreach line than from dung-heads like Sky or Talktalk.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
gpsbrook
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank for your reply Andruser.

The end of my contract coincided with the introduction of lockdown, so a bit unfortunate in that respect.

I already have an Openreach connection installed, so I'll look into your recommended providers.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
gpsbrook
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Superfast.

Thanks for your reply.

Nothing online yet.

Don't want to get into a game of chicken, so will start looking elsewhere.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To be honest for me bt we're brilliant. Yes the speed was kinda slow at 40mb which used to be 55mb but it was a solid stable connection with a low ping to most places of around 8ms which is sometimes better than a fast one. I even managed to do a webchat with them during the hight of covid when they wrongly billed me which they handled there and then I got an immediate same day refund plus compensation. Alas they wanted to hike my bill to "just £5 more than your paying now" so here I am trying out virgin.

0 Kudos