Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Teething trouble / signing up to Virgin Media

I've put an order ref. WS6764605 for Virgin Media broadband in my location. I live in a house in multiple occupation, our landlady has already got Virgin Media broadband there but  because of the size of the household (9 rooms, multiple applications, probably up to 30 simultaneous devices trying to connect at certain times) I decided to get my own Virgin broadband with a separate router. I've put in an order and got an installation date. Today I've received an email this won't be processed because there already is an account at that address. Trying to get in touch with Virgin, at this time, is - needless to say - futile. Can you advise how I should go about getting my own connection? I've lived at that address for over 6 years, my landlady is okay with me getting a separate line, why is it a problem for Virgin Media? Thanks in advance. Swavik

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Teething trouble / signing up to Virgin Media

Hi,

Unless your room is registered with the post office as its own address (i.e Room 1, House number,Street name, Postcode) unfortunately Virgin can only have one account per address. what you could do is buy your self a separate router and run a long Ethernet lead from the main hub to your room and then your router would run its own network off that connection its not the same as having your own but will mean you're not trying to use the wifi which is congested with all the other devices.

Hope this helps
Jake
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Virgin Media Field Technician. All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field or my personal experiences with my own set up at home. If my answer was helpful to you please Mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some Kudos.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to save £50 off your bill by referring a friend? Send me a PM and ill let you know how!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jake. 

Would increasing the bandwidth from a 100Mb to a - for example - 500Mb broadband plan help? Or with the number of simultaneous devices trying to connect would that make no difference? Currently the signal fades in and out, sometimes disappearing completely. It's either gone at times or very unreliable. It can be good, at times, for a stretch of time, but this is unpredictable. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You're welcome,

Unfortunately, although it will improve speed for everyone if you struggle with the range of the wifi it will not. if you didn't want to go the route of purchasing your own route you could look into Powerline extenders or a mesh system for the property. I live in a relatively small but old property and have use a powerline to supply one end of the house with internet access. If you go down this route i would suggest not going for the cheaper options and possibly getting a powerline with Wifi if thats what you require for you devices.

Hope this helps
Jake
I am a Virgin Media Field Technician. All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field or my personal experiences with my own set up at home. If my answer was helpful to you please Mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some Kudos.
Want to save £50 off your bill by referring a friend? Send me a PM and ill let you know how!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jake
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I can offer some assistance on this.

Here to help! I'm a manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos