cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub 3 internal network address

gingfuzz
Joining in

I have currently just had virgin out into my address and to my dismay I have found I can not change my internal ip address for the network in the superhub 3. I have always detested using default setting in any router I have bought or have used. I have my whole network manually set with ip addresses, I don't like using the range 192.168.*.* is there anyway of changing the setting to match all of my already set ip addresses across my network?

many thanks

233 REPLIES 233

I don't know if anything has been changed on the later hubs but I have just been supplied with a new one and it seems there is no need to use Modem Mode.

I have my own Netgear router at ip 192.168.1.1  and several attached devices with fixed ip addresses in the 192.168.1.* range.

I have just connected my router into one of the network ports on the super hub 3 (which has ip address 192.168.0.1) and everything works just fine and I can access the internet on my devices with no problem. I can also log in with wi-fi through my own router or through the virgin hub.

When I log in with wi-fi through my router I get ip address in the range 192.168.1.* and logging in through the virgin hub I get ip address in the range 192.168.0.*, so DHCP is enabled on both my router and the virgin hub.

This seems to work perfectly well so far.

It's working for you since you have two DNS servers, and you have created two separate networks... if you try to connect a device on the 192.168.0.x network to another device in the 192.168.1.x network, you'll discover the problem with this setup.

Plus of course running all your wifi traffic through two routers will add latency etc

@Sephiroth wrote:
I didn't ever believe a word of what VM said about their wireless excellence. I have Powerline adapters that permeate WiFi through the house. There is no point in expecting VM to cater for everyone's house design! I took the situation into my own hands because it was important.

Even some of us ex Radio Hams that are often totally prejudiced against injecting any form of noise onto unshielded/unscreened mains cabling have to admit (ala King Canute) that the practicalities/Limitations of WiFi/Mobile device coverage mean that even VM produce their own re-badged PowerLine adapters to augment Hubs.

Naturally can't comment on anything that VM might or not be testing for future even if I knew...... So why can't I even safely speculate on how well certain models/makes can perform? LOL  😛

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED

Hello Eddy29,

I would be grateful if you could guide me through changing the LAN IP to my local 192.168.123.*

I have just recieved the HUB 3 and unwittingly activated it. I have too many devices to change. Please any help will do.

Kind regards,

@AaronB2S wrote:

Hello Eddy29,

I would be grateful if you could guide me through changing the LAN IP to my local 192.168.123.*

I have just recieved the HUB 3 and unwittingly activated it. I have too many devices to change. Please any help will do.

Kind regards,

Eddy's guide is in this thread at message 12:  http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Superhub-3-internal-network-address/m-p/31... See also post 14 in this thread.

It's not straightforward and some people say that VM have shut that off (although there has been no firmware update since Eddy's post so I doubt that's the case.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Also you may find you get locked out from the admin page of the SuperHub after you go through this process. It will still work on the new IP adress you just won't be able to make any other changes, so do those first just in case.

Andre

You should really buy a proper router instead of using this piece of crap...

Yesterday I followed Eddie's hints and all worked. Tried to login but as he said there was the previous session so I let it be.

But today the Hub3 is not giving ip addresses via DHCP, and it's unaccessible via 192.168.1.1.

Did I miss something?

padad
Joining in

Hi everyone,

I have just had my Virgin media internet installed today, had it just standalone as I was working at the time, but managed to connect to it and check if it's working and thought I would change the IP and add it into my network to replace the horribly slow ADSL connection after I finish work. As we all thought, this is a 'normal' thing to do and thought nothing of it.

Then when I couldn't find the option to change the IP address I thought I was going mad - thinking "I'll never have to google this!". To my surprise, I found this forum and couldn't believe it.

So thought, I would have a go at starting a chat on the VM homepage to get some advice - no help, was just told to phone tech support. So called them and after several times explaining I don't want to change my external IP, but the internal/private IP I got the response of "You have to place the hub in modem mode and buy your own router" from the adviser and the 'supervisor' I even demanded that VM should provide the router to do the job that the SH3 can't do - this was ignored as well. I think I made my point of being so annoyed/frustrated I even threatened to cancel the contract.

I asked them about making the changes on this page and they subtly avoided the question on multiple occasions!

After 1h 15 on the phone and no progress, I decided to follow the advice from Eddy29 and it worked perfectly - you're a lifesaver 🙂 

My SH3 is running the following:

Standard specification compliant: DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware version: 10
Software version: 9.1.88T

Not sure what will happen when my firware get upgraded - I suspect it will remove these settings 😞

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Welcome to the Forums. We'll be seeing you again, I suspect because your firmware is well out of date. The latest is 9.1.116V - it ain't brilliant but it fixed a number of faults (that I am not allowed to tell you about). So when it upgrades, possibly on a next reboot, your settings will vanish.

Me, I'm in modem mode with my own router that does everything. The Hub is a get-you-going device dumbed down to keep VM's support bill (and skill set) to a minimum.

See yah!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)