cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling to get Hub 5 into Modem Mode with my Draytek Router.

mbvogeldenebeim
Joining in

I'm trying to put my Hub 5 into modem mode to avoid double routing with my Draytek.  It works fine with the Hub in router mode - the Draytek gets its IP address from the Hub (192.168.0.xx).  However, when I change the Hub to modem mode, the Draytek won't get an IP address. 

If I plug the Hub into my laptop when in modem mode, the external IP address is assigned to the laptop so I know the Hub is successfully in modem mode.  The Draytek is in "obtain an IP address automatically" mode since that's the way it gets an IP address when the hub is in router mode, but when I switch the hub to modem mode, the Draytek isn't getting the external IP address. 

I've tried to turn the Hub and the Draytek on in various order, but so far no success.  Again - everything works perfectly in router mode but not in modem mode.

Any thoughts?  I've read various messages about doing things in the right order, but so far no success.

34 REPLIES 34

If you're on Gig1 the advertised download speed is 1130Mbps but the most you get from a gigabit port will be 940Mbps (not 1000Mbps due to overheads). So, if you can get the full speed from a 2.5Gbps port you'll get 1130Mbps less overheads.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

NealSullivan
Superfast

I had trouble with mine in modem mode when it's not fully sync'd up and online.. The 192.168.100.1 webpage stalls and sometimes becomes 192168.0.1

But give it 7 days for VM's DHCP to catch up if there is a max-clients-per-CPE set.. I get a 7day lease, but always come back to the same IP, hub3 or 5 or 4 (I think)..

NealSullivan_1-1652628702280.png

^^ 7day lease...

Always pains with dhcp catching up!
NEAL

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"webpage stalls and sometimes becomes 192168.0.1" this is because your default gateway is not 192.168.0.1 I see it's in the 192.168.220.x range. It's the these new hubs work. 

"But give it 7 days for VM's DHCP" this is your WAN address and it has a lease time of 7 days. it will normally be the same WAN address unless the MAC address of the hub or your router changes. Another reason for this to change is if VM do a re-segmentation of the CMTS, otherwise you will retain the same WAN IP address, this is why VM WAN addresses are called "sticky".

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You got modem mode working with a laptop do this again then use the clone MAC option in your router then connect the router to the hub should just work.

If this does not work it might be a bug with the hub 5 we need to check that we can make windows do by reg key "DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag" to 1 in case that bug is happening or VM DHCP is a problem for your area.

---------------------------------------------------------------

>> There are 10 types of people: those who understand b
But there are prople that understand ethernet/IP too... Let us handle it, I'm dead good with both.... I'm helping explain and give practical advice on fixing real-world-y stuff.. 

The 100.1 stalling isn't anything you can understand I don't think.. It's the drop-outs and back-ins that make it a pain with the netgear. Every T3 causes the ethernet to pop off, most likely to me. Thanks for your input 🙂

Lol, I left a message on here and about 2 minutes later, lotal loss.. of IP

NealSullivan_0-1652655566978.png

This is where 192.168.100.1 turns into 0.1.... until the next timeout...   

Network wide? I've got the mobile at lease
NEAL

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @mbvogeldenebeim thanks for your post here in the Community.

I'm really sorry, but we don't support with third party devices such as external routers when our Hubs are in Modem Mode. 

Great to hear that as things stand though, your performance is working well in Router Mode - if you do need any further assistance please continue to post in here and our VIP's will do their best to offer further help, I'd also advise contacting Draytek's support too just in case they can provide anything further.

Many thanks

Tom_W

I have done this numerous times in this exact order.  No luck. 

I have tried to set the Draytek's WAN MAC address to the laptop's MAC address that successfully gets an IP address through the Hub in modem mode.

Still no success.  But I'm just leaving it in router mode and hoping that the combination of the port 4 speed and the new device hardware is an improvement over Hub4 performance.

Still not working.  Can you check if there's an issue with VM DHCP servers in modem mode?