cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Siting of the cables

Rondy
Joining in

I prepared for the engineers visit by buying an extension cable. When installed the box I told him where I wanted the cable and the router. But he asked where the land line master socket was which is the opposite side of our living room. He said the router had to go there.

We were disappointed as that wasn't where we wanted it and because of where he sent the cable and the router we had nowhere to put up a Christmas tree this year.

I've been told since that the cable and router doesn't have to be near the phone socket as the land line phone is plugged into the router. I have spoken to four different people (Nov 12th NOv 28th Dec 5th Dec11th)on the Virgin chat help line and spoken to a lady on the phone who said they could move the cable and router for a charge of £25. I said I didn't mind how much they charged but wanted it done before Christmas. Late January I was told was the earliest they could do it.

I see Virgin Media vans up and down our street on most days of the week, so surely they coulod have been more accommodating.

I have written a long letter of complaint some weeks prior to Christmas and are still awaiting a reply.

Not the best start for a new customer is it.

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

This issue does get mentioned on here from time to time where the VM tech unilaterally decides where the equipment ends up rather than the customer. That isn't how it should be but, unfortunately, requires the customer to be assertive enough at the time of the installation to get the equipment fitted where required.

The time for getting it changed would have been in your 14 day cooling off period after installation when VM would have possibly been more accommodating. The £25 figure is the standard VM charge for modifications to cabling (used to be £99).

Wait for the forum team to respond here within a day or two and see what they can do for you.

Thanks for you reply.

Hi Rondy, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear the equipment wasn't installed where you wanted it. This does crop up from time to time as depending on where you want it, further work may be required. 

When booking the appointments, we do always offer the next available. There won't be anything we can do if you've already booked this. The appointments are first come first serve regardless on if there are vans in your area I'm afraid. 

We can certainly check this out further for you but in order to do that I will need to pass data protection with you. I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Rondy, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. 

I'm glad we've been able to get the appointment sorted for you. 

If you have any further issues, pop back here and let us know. 

Take care, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs