cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removal of cable and box

hfwarner
Tuning in

Hi

i have recently moved into a house where the previous owner had virgin broadband installed. The cabling was installed inside a green plastic tubing which stretches across the front garden and isn’t buried. In fact we can’t bury it as it goes across paving and a wall but is a massive trip risk.

We won’t be using virgin media and would like this cable and the box inside the house removed please. How do I arrange?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

thats awful how in hells name did anybody think that was acceptable - VM will get to the thread and the best they can do on here is flag it to the area field manager [AFM] - that can have mixed results - some will get a tech out and get it sorted - others will ignore all requests and hope you give up

its not a utility - not legally whatever the misinformed say on here - the previous owner ordered it and by default gave permission for that travesty - why [as i started] is a good question - as the new owher permissions granted from a previous owner are not binding on you - so you have options

1 - wait for VM to offer to get an AFM involved if they have not already 

2 - assuming they do arrange for said AFM be clear what you want and in what time scale

3 - just get on and remove -  it as is offered as a solution by staff here and AFM's in the field

if you choose 3 you have no responsibility to terminate the connection correctly simply cut it at your boundary and remove any internal or external boxes but as said above if you or others in the future wanted a VM connection you are likely to find the property blacklisted

if you get a helful AFM things will likely happen as you want/hope - if you get one at the other end of the scale you will get lots of promises and input from staff here and go round in circles getting nowhere

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta

It won’t be removed. It’s classed as a utility 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

crany
Superfast
you should post photos if its a hazard virgin may come out and tidy it up

photo of the cable. It also stretches across the path at the front. So dangerous

A2250F9D-DDD1-4A93-B817-6CF212111363.jpeg

Utilities are essential. This isn’t and I don’t use it

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @hfwarner

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with the cables not being buried. 

We wouldn't be able to remove the boxes from inside the property however if you can provide us with some photos we would be able to arrange to get these buried. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Thanks. I’ve just posted a photo. As I explained though it won’t be possible to bury it as it stretches over a brick wall and also a path in front of the wall.

id really like it removed please

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

One point to bear in mind, is if this is removed back to the footpath, VM will mark the property as "unusable" for any future customers. You should be able to remove any internal wall points and cables, providing the cable from the outside is properly terminated.  Otherwise noise ingress will affect all the VM users on the same street cabinet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi there

thank you for this. What do you mean by ‘properly terminated’ and how would I know unless they come out and do this as we’ve requested?

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

thats awful how in hells name did anybody think that was acceptable - VM will get to the thread and the best they can do on here is flag it to the area field manager [AFM] - that can have mixed results - some will get a tech out and get it sorted - others will ignore all requests and hope you give up

its not a utility - not legally whatever the misinformed say on here - the previous owner ordered it and by default gave permission for that travesty - why [as i started] is a good question - as the new owher permissions granted from a previous owner are not binding on you - so you have options

1 - wait for VM to offer to get an AFM involved if they have not already 

2 - assuming they do arrange for said AFM be clear what you want and in what time scale

3 - just get on and remove -  it as is offered as a solution by staff here and AFM's in the field

if you choose 3 you have no responsibility to terminate the connection correctly simply cut it at your boundary and remove any internal or external boxes but as said above if you or others in the future wanted a VM connection you are likely to find the property blacklisted

if you get a helful AFM things will likely happen as you want/hope - if you get one at the other end of the scale you will get lots of promises and input from staff here and go round in circles getting nowhere

Tony.
Sacked VIP