cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocate hub due to poor signal

Mark1871
Dialled in

Hi. My hub is currently in the living room next to the tv where the engineer suggested it should go when we became VM customers. The problem is we get inadequate Wi-Fi signal upstairs and also to our Wi-Fi security camera just outside the front door. We coped with poor signal upstairs even though it affected zoom calls on laptops during lockdown. We need this camera to work at its best due to an increase in crime in our area. It is a small house with stud walling. No brick expect for external walls. I think moving the hub in to the hallway near the stairs will help as this is the most central position in the house. How would I go about doing this? I’ve read it costs £100? Is that right? Can it be moved easily doing it myself? Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4

lotharmat
Community elder
It's £25 now for a non-fault call-out!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Would me paying for fast broadband and it only reaching decent speeds on the lower level of the house be classed as a fault? We also have problems with our devices randomly disconnecting from the hub. 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

It's not a fault because WiFi speeds are not guaranteed,  only wired connections are.

But £25 to have the Hub rewired to a different place is a pretty good deal. You wouldn't get an electrician in to do much wiring for 25 quid.

But be warned that even from the new location it may not cover the whole house. You may have to add other device/s to do that. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM supply you with a broadband connection and low cost WiFi equipment. They guarantee the speed only to any Ethernet cabled device, they never guarantee WiFi due to many factors outside their control. VM do supply “pods” to give better WiFi coverage in your home, but unless you are on their top package they cost £5 per month. A lot of people buy their own networking equipment and use the VM hub in modem mode.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2