cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hub 5: Our first ever WiFi 6 broadband router

anarchy1
Joining in

I have received an e-mail offering Hub 5 but I am uncertain about its function and whether it really has a useful function. Apparently it will improve speed on my laptop but I am an old geezer (78) and have no wish to hurry up the responses as I can make a cup of tea or have forty winks while I wait. I have asked a plethora of questions but got no sense out of VM. My worry is if I do not download the app or fail to properly install Hub 5 they say they will remove my old router(I believe I should send it back) I will have no broadband. Why is it the operatives at VM refuse to elucidate and evade taking responsibility for answering my questions ? I have foolishly placed an order for Hub 5 and the due date for delivery is 25th March but I am experiencing significant anxiety and VM operatives will not speak to me let alone constructively support me.

3 REPLIES 3

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You don’t say what your current hub is. You basically have 2 options.

Option1:

Plug in the new Hub5 and try it out, if it works ok for you, keep it. Do not return your old hub until you are fully satisfied with the Hub5. This is because if you have problems you old hub could be reactivated.

Oprion 2:

Just keep your present hub and if VM deactivate it, ask for it to be reactivated. Hold on to the Hub5 until VM request it back.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jem101
Superstar

@anarchy1 wrote:

I have received an e-mail offering Hub 5 but I am uncertain about its function and whether it really has a useful function.

in your case, to be honest, probably not

Apparently it will improve speed on my laptop

Almost certainly, no it won’t*

but I am an old geezer (78) and have no wish to hurry up the responses as I can make a cup of tea or have forty winks while I wait. I have asked a plethora of questions

but got no sense out of VM.

Yes, join the club!

My worry is if I do not download the app or fail to properly install Hub 5 they say they will remove my old router(I believe I should send it back) I will have no broadband. Why is it the operatives at VM refuse to elucidate and evade taking responsibility for answering my questions ? I have foolishly placed an order for Hub 5 and the due date for delivery is 25th March but I am experiencing significant anxiety and VM operatives will not speak to me let alone constructively support me.

To be honest, the most likely outcome is that the hub 5 will work perfectly OK once you connect it, you will have no issue, although neither will it actually improve anything for you, so what was the point? Who can say?

Absolutely do not send the old router back, ignore any threats about this, just in case the new all singling, all dancing  Hub 5 turns out to be a bit of a lemon, then at least you can request / demand that they reactive your old (working) hub.

To highlight

If you move to the Hub 5,

your old Hub will no longer work as the router has to be registered to the network, and by moving to the Hub 5, the old registration is no longer valid.

You can argue with Virgin that you want to go back, and that you have the old hub, 

but there is no guarantee they will let you, or how much time / money they will chare you to go back.

I had this with the Hub 3 v Hub 4, 4 is a step back for us , but despite many many may phones calls / emails / even good old letters, was not allowed by virgin to move back to the 3,  

After all, they have no reason to , 

they have you as a customer already,