cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Health and Safety Restriction

awg102
Joining in

The same has happened with my property, which I've just purchased. The previous owner had Virgin Media services (via fibre-optic cable) for 10 years +, as do a number of leaseholders within the same building (it is a set of flats). When I phoned up to place an order for new services I was told a health and safety restriction was present on the seller's account. The customer service rep was surprised (they'd never seen this before) and stated that this must have been a mistake because the property was currently being serviced, so there could not be an issue. I was encouraged to make an order for new services (the health and safety restriction was removed on that basis) and was told I could self-install, because the property was already connected.

Following this, I received a notice that an engineer would need to attend the property, although I was not told why. Then, I received another email saying that my order has been cancelled, and an engineer would no longer be attending the property because the health and safety issue was valid (after all) and there was no way for Virgin Media engineer's to access their cabinet on the roof of my property. This is despite the fact there is no need for an engineer to make a connection (the cables have already been fitted in the property), and a number of other flats are currently receiving services without issue. The seller's account was also active (and receiving services) until a couple of days ago.

I do not understand why there is a health and safety issue for new accounts (that do not require installation) but not for existing accounts that continue to be serviced? Either there is a health and safety issue or there isn't?

I have also tried repeatedly (during hours of calls, over numerous days) to try to speak to someone who can explain to me what the health and safety issue is? Is it a problem with accessing the roof, or something else? Is it something that can be rectified? The condition, and access to, the property has not changed since the cabling was originally installed, so I do not understand how a health and safety risk can exist one day, and not the next? And only for certain customers in a building, and not for others.

Virgin's customer service has also been awful. When the customer service rep realises they cannot give me a reasonable answer they simply hang up, or purport to transfer me to another department (and then hang up). Or they say they'll phone me back (but don't). It's clear no-one wants to deal with this issue, or provide an explanation for what is happening. How hard can it be for the engineer (who apparently visited the property this week) to explain what the issue is? 

I am not impressed. And looking through the other community discussion boards this seems to be a common problem issue experienced by Virgin customers.

2 REPLIES 2

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @awg102 

Sorry to hear that you've had these troubles so far. 

I will pop you a private message to take some details and look into this to see if we can provide some assistance.

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi awg102, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear about the issues you have faced. 

I can see that Christy has already offered help here and my colleague John has already replied to your other thread here: Health and Safety Restriction Flag on property?

Please make sure you are only posting once about your issue. If you need to update the thread then just reply to your original thread rather than creating a new one. We understand it's frustrating when something's not right however posting more than once about the same fault makes the boards look busier than what they actually are. It also means we could take longer to reply due to needing to sift through duplicate posts.

Have a look at the reply on the other thread and stick with that one so we keep all the information in one place. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs