cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cut cable

petenice
Up to speed

I've done exactly this yesterday - spent the last 6years avoiding cutting the bit of cable poking out of my lawn but yesterday was the day it got cut.

I'm guessing as mentioned above this is dual coax and copper that I've cut through. At the moment I have a 12 day wait for an engineer which I can't really wait for as I work from home.

Can I get someone to fix this in ther interim? If so what type of person do I need?

PXL_20220327_090417314~2.jpg

21 REPLIES 21

petenice
Up to speed

Ok so it's a TFC-T10 coax cable and I'm guessing I can fix this myself with a coax cable cutter and a waterproof join?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

NO, you cannot do it yourself.

Call Customer Services on 0345 454 1111/150 if you have a VM landline or wait a day or two for a VM staff member to get to your post.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

As I said in my post they said I have to wait 12 days for an engineer - which I can't as I work from home and I need the internet.

Why are you saying I can't fix it myself?

@petenice wrote:

As I said in my post they said I have to wait 12 days for an engineer - which I can't as I work from home and I need the internet.

Why are you saying I can't fix it myself?

You 'shouldn't' fix it yourself rather than 'can't'.

Technically if there is enough slack you could push the two ends of the cable together until the copper overlaps in the insulation (You need to remove some of the insulation of course!).

I think the main issue is causing interference for other users, however ironically a cut cable can cause that regardless!

Well I shouldn't have to wait 12 days for an engineer and therefore I wouldn't be looking to fix myself.

'Shouldn't' because VM says so? 

Nah.

How and what type of interference does it cause?

@petenice wrote:

How and what type of interference does it cause?

Well at the end of the day it's a copper cable so any signal that can be 'picked up', without the shielding in place, can cause issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ts and Cs are clear about not touching the cable setup but the fact is that there are threads on here that suggest potential fixes such as https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Outside-cable-cut-by-accident/td-p/4603241

So what do you suggest I do then?

Wait 12 days with no internet?

Or buy some Cablecon F-56 CX3 4.9 compression connectors and join the cut cable?