cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Start Issues

mikef2105
Tuning in

So I've been sent the quick start kit, plugged it all in and the green wifi light is on constantly and the power (base?) light (horizontal light at the bottom) is constantly flashing green.

I'm not sure what the green flashing light is supposed to be telling me - can anyone advise?

The green wifi light suggests the wireless network should be working, but none of my devices (laptop, several phones, tv, xbox) are detecting the wireless network name stated on the hub. 

Can anyone help? I've restarted several times, used the factory reset button but it just does the same thing once its booted up.

18 REPLIES 18

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are two possible causes, that the hub as not been activated or the cable has been disconnected either at the omnibox or street cabinet. For the first try:

Equipment activation on 0800 953 9500

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have called that helpline on a couple of occassions but did not specifically ask them to check the hub has been activated. Presumably that is the first thing they'd check? The first person did say they were sending some activation settings but that didn't do anything.

What I don't understand is even if the cable connection has been disconnected, wouldn't the wifi network still be detectable?

They have said they will send an engineer - the issue is I have just moved house, am self-isolating, so they won't send an engineer for a week, so I was really hoping there may be something I can do this end to identify the issue so I can at least work from home without relying on mobile data and wifi hotspots!

NB - when I signed up and entered the address, I was told I was quick start ready. Wouldn't virgin check the cable is actually active at that point?

@mikef2105 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have called that helpline on a couple of occassions but did not specifically ask them to check the hub has been activated. Presumably that is the first thing they'd check? The first person did say they were sending some activation settings but that didn't do anything.

What I don't understand is even if the cable connection has been disconnected, wouldn't the wifi network still be detectable?

They have said they will send an engineer - the issue is I have just moved house, am self-isolating, so they won't send an engineer for a week, so I was really hoping there may be something I can do this end to identify the issue so I can at least work from home without relying on mobile data and wifi hotspots!

NB - when I signed up and entered the address, I was told I was quick start ready. Wouldn't virgin check the cable is actually active at that point?

It's not the cable that's active, it's the HUB.

Can you post a picture of your setup, what's connected to where?

Sorry trying to compress photo to acceptable size

IMG_20211128_184354.jpg

Everything looks to be correct.

When you phone the activation number there should be an option to activate the kit, rather than speaking to someone.

Did you try that?

When I call that number (0800 953 9500) I get two options:

1 report a fault (what I've been doing)

2 for everyone else. Option 2 just says VM I currently closed, call back tomorrow.

Sorry option 2 for everything else!

I just spoke to someone who confirmed the hub has been activated. Seems that's a quick fix out of the window and I guess it's some kind of issue with the cable / connection so I'll have to wait for an engineer.

Thanks for your help anyway.

@mikef2105 wrote:

I just spoke to someone who confirmed the hub has been activated. Seems that's a quick fix out of the window and I guess it's some kind of issue with the cable / connection so I'll have to wait for an engineer.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Did you get a TV package at the same time?

Does that work?