cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query

Shooter1976
Joining in

Hi,

we recently got Virgin installed, my neighbour asked how Virgin connected the cable to our house, he asked if the engineer had to dig up garden or not. He didn’t need to dig anything as far as I can see (was at work during installation) how did they connect it without digging? Apologies not very techy 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Shooter1976 wrote:

Hi,

we recently got Virgin installed, my neighbour asked how Virgin connected the cable to our house, he asked if the engineer had to dig up garden or not. He didn’t need to dig anything as far as I can see (was at work during installation) how did they connect it without digging? Apologies not very techy 

I think your neighbour might possibly be enquiring (in a roundabout way!) if VM has made a piggy back connection from your neighbour's VM connection. Does your neighbour use VM?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Shooter1976 wrote:

Hi,

I think your neighbour might possibly be enquiring (in a roundabout way!) if VM has made a piggy back connection from your neighbour's VM connection. Does your neighbour use VM?

No, he hasn’t got VM

@Shooter1976 wrote:

No, he hasn’t got VM

Just neighbourly curiosity then! 😁

Depending on what your home setup is (house, flat etc.) VM will typically install an 'omnibox' (a plastic junction box) on the outside of each customer's property. From there a cable runs to the cabinet in the street and from the omnibox into the home. The cable going into the street can be buried or is sometimes laying flat on the surface in some green plastic conduit.

If you follow the VM cables from inside your home to outside, do you now have a plastic 'omnibox' fitted on the outside of your home?

If your home is a flat, some can be internally cabled already for VM from a central point within the building so the cable may already have been in place internally.