cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-installation date keeps moving

liz258
Joining in

Since signing up and selecting my installation date well in advance, every time I check online, my pre-installation date has moved forward to the following day. What does this actually mean? Is there something that should be happening but isn't or is it just a system glitch? 

I am meant to be having broadband installed on Tuesday 1st Feb and urgently needs to be done on time. I have now have a very sinking feeling about this actually happening and starting to have serious regrets about choosing Virgin Media full stop. Anything I have read online has only served to confirm my fears. Is delayed installation a common occurrence with VM? If I had known I wouldn't have even considered signing up. Am I better to just cut my losses now and go to another provider? 

Who do I contact about pre-installation and who can clearly tell me whether or not an installation team will be at my house on Tuesday morning as planned? 

11 REPLIES 11

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The only useful advice I can offer is that you should develop a contingency plan based on the assumption that VM's installation will be delayed.  Some customers get installed on time, some don't, and in a number of cases this drags on for months without any accurate or meaningful communication from the company.  

The installation process does appear to be a sequence of outsourced third parties neither of whom appear to be able to communicate issues back to VM, so basically they first time they realise that an installation scheduled for 1st Feb actually hasn't happened is when they don’t get a notification that it is complete on 2nd Feb, in which case the automated system (no human intervention involved) simply moves the date on by one day - ad infinitum.

There really is no point in calling VM to ask for an update or assurance that it will happen on a certain data, actually, you probably will get an assurance that it will happen on a certain date, just regard this with all the certainty of the predications of a newspaper horoscope, ie totally made up!

It really is best to work on the premise that it won’t happen (and if it does, then happy days) and work out some alternative setup to either tied you over or be an alternative to VM long term.

The installation process does appear to be a sequence of outsourced third parties neither of whom appear to be able to communicate issues back to VM, so basically they first time they realise that an installation scheduled for 1st Feb actually hasn't happened is when they don’t get a notification that it is complete on 2nd Feb, in which case the automated system (no human intervention involved) simply moves the date on by one day - ad infinitum.

There really is no point in calling VM to ask for an update or assurance that it will happen on a certain data, actually, you probably will get an assurance that it will happen on a certain date, just regard this with all the certainty of the predications of a newspaper horoscope, ie totally made up!

It really is best to work on the premise that it won’t happen (and if it does, then happy days) and work out some alternative setup to either tie you over or be an alternative to VM long term!

WilcoxX
Joining in

Travelers on mobile platforms will be unable to play the game while pre-installing game resources. It's recommended that Travelers complete any Domains or other challenges they wish to finish first before beginning the pre-installation process.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi liz258,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear there has been some confusion over when pre-installation work will be completed. I can see since posted you've been able to contact us and been able to resolve things.

If you do still need help with anything please let us know.

Alex_Rm

Takstar1983
Tuning in

My pre-installation should be today 23/04/222 between 8am - 6pm. Nobody has turned up. My broadband an home phone services were going to be installed on 29/03/22. I got a call on 28/03/22 saying that my installation  wasn't going to happen on that date. I've been given dates of 01/04/22, 15/04/22, and finally 21/04/22. My broadband and home phone services were going to be set-up on 30/04/22 but I had to move to 02/05/22. Not only that, I have to keep calling Sky so they don't stop my broadband and home phone services, and take time off work because someone over the age of 18 has to be present on the day of installation.

A Takyar

Hi Takstar1983,

I am sorry for the delays with this.

So I can go through a few details with you regarding this I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Takstar1983
Tuning in

My Broadband and home phone were supposed to be installed on 29/03/22 I've now been told that that won't happen until 27/06/22. I was called by a manager in the installations team on 14/04/22 stating that the 3rd party team the use for the cabling would arrive on 23/04/22 and my broadband and home phone services would be activated on 30/04/22. The 3rd party didn't show up on 23/04/22 Virgin Media then gave a date of 24/04/22 and today 25/04/22. As per Virgin Medias' own automatic compensation policy £5.04 will be paid from the date of the first missed appointment 29/03/22 until 27/06/22 a total of 90 days 90 x £5.04 = £453.60 and £25.18 will be paid if they don't turn up on the "PROMISED DAY" of the installation Virgin Media have did not turn up on the following "PROMISED DAYS" 27/03/22, 15/04/22 21/04/22 and they are not going to turn up on 30/04/22. A total of 4 "PROMISES" a total automatic compensation of 4 x £25.18 = £100.72. A total automatic compensation of £554.32. I was told that I would get a dongle free of charge and no monthly fee to be paid until my installation. When I told Virgin Media how much automatic compensation I would receive the price of the dongle went from £0 to £30 and £0 per month to £25 per month. And they offer a refer a friend scheme. Do they actually think that I will refer anybody. Are they having a laugh?

If you're thinking of joining Virgin Media for home and broadband services if your area has just been set up for fiber "AVOID" at all costs

A Takyar

Well yes of course they aren’t going to turn up of 30th, neither are you likely to get any sort of compensation - well not without a massive fight anyway. The compensation is given as credit on your account once you are connected up, so paradoxically, the longer they delay the longer they keep the money and not give it to you you, in fact if they keep you hanging on long enough, until you get bored and cancel then they give you nothing - genius, no?

Actually no, the above scenario implies a degree of planning and intent on VM’s part. The truth, more mundanely, is that the VM installation process does seem to be terminally broken, or at least so riven with corporate incompetence that it amounts to the same thing.

OK seriously, give yourself a hard deadline, let's say next Monday. If nothing has happened then call Sky and cancel the cancellation, even if it means signing up to a new year's or whatever contract. DO NOT cancel the VM install, it might happen or it might not, but if it does, then immediately cancel within the 14 day cooling off period at no cost to yourself. At least then you know that the cable is installed and working should you decide to give VM another try. And even if not, you have the slight satisfaction of knowing that VM have spent money on getting you connected up, for which they won’t get a single penny back.