cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No update on fix

Emmiiiiiiiiiiii
On our wavelength

Hi, a temporary fix was installed yesterday at my house wherein I was hooked up to my neighbour's internet cable and was told mine would be properly installed today. I have since come home and nothing had been changed or moved since yesterday, with no update on what's going on or why nothing was done today. I tried to call the number provided to me by technician 57334 and both calls were picked up for a few seconds then hung up. Can I get an update on this please? 

8 REPLIES 8

jem101
Superstar

Ah, always remember the old maxim 'there is nothing more permanent or longer lasting than a temporary fix'!

So what was the original issue, broken or damaged cable from the street cabinet or were you a new customer and the installer turned up only to find there was no cable there to connect you up to? Wouldn't be the first time!

The promise from the installer that it would be done next day, was, alas a straight lie, he or she simply wouldn't have been in a position to make any such guarantee, it was simply what you wanted to hear, and they got away quickly with a 'successful' install chalked up! Now if you think about it, from VM's perspective, you have connectivity, more importantly you are paying them their monthly bill, so exactly what incentive do they have to send someone else round and spend money for no obvious gain?

Just to set expectations, and really we should wait and see what the forum team (VM employees) might be able to offer as an explanation when they get to this thread, but based on past posts here, you could literally be waiting for many, many months before they get around to fixing this.

John

Thanks for your reply John, it is working so not so bad for me, I'm concerned for my neighbor really. If my neighbor wants her internet setting up through Virgin (these are new builds so no previous internet providers set up to the property) they've set me up with her cable, and I can't be without connection due to me working from home! 

@Emmiiiiiiiiiiii wrote:

Snip..

If my neighbor wants her internet setting up through Virgin (these are new builds so no previous internet providers set up to the property) they've set me up with her cable, and I can't be without connection due to me working from home! 

Ah no, don't worry about that too much, in theory each house has its own connection back to the street cabinet but there, they are all combined into one cable going back anyway. All that has happened is that you and your neighbour's possible, future connection have been combined a bit earlier - it won't actually be an issue from a technical point of view, but sometime people get a bit narked about cables running from their house to next door - which is fair enough, I suppose, especially if they are a bit unsightly.

Now the issue is really, did your neighbour give permission for cables to be run across their property, anything in writing - probably not? They could decide at any point to cut them all away and dump them, and there is nothing that either you or VM can do to stop them - so don't fall out with your neighbour😉

Now I say all this as a means of setting expectations, absolutely do not expect VM to pull the stops out to get this sorted out - they won't, it's going to be a really uphill slog to get them to move. But in then meantime, should push come to shove, are you sure that there are no alternative internet suppliers available to you? The fact that this is a new build but they have managed to catastrophically mess it up already, really doesn't sound too good.

John

My neighbour is nice enough that I think it wouldn't bother them, but it might be annoying to be told that her own internet cable is already being used. I don't think she'd snip the cable- but this is really irritating nonetheless. Thanks for all your advice with this. Also yeah, classic new build- lots of silly initial issues like this but I knew that would be the case when I bought it, from other people's experiences 😕 

I'm actually surprised no one from Virgin Media has responded- all of my other inquiries on the forum got a response fast, but nothing on this post... 

Hi Emmiiiiiiiiiiii,

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome both here and to Virgin Media, sorry for any inconvenience your install has caused having to be temporary connected to the neighbours cable, when this happens the technician would arrange for a re pull, a new cable to be fitted directly to your property, this may have been due to a blockage of some description, you would be contacted and advised when the appointment would be.

Regards

Paul.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@Paul_DN wrote:

Hi Emmiiiiiiiiiiii,

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome both here and to Virgin Media, sorry for any inconvenience your install has caused having to be temporary connected to the neighbours cable, when this happens the technician would arrange for a re pull, a new cable to be fitted directly to your property, this may have been due to a blockage of some description, you would be contacted and advised when the appointment would be.

Regards

Paul.

But that hasn't happened. The customer and their neighbour have been left with no resolution. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi Paul - this did actually get resolved a few days ago but I was not contacted about it before or since- I just turned up after work and it had been rectified. But as the issue is resolved now, no worries. 

Kind regards 

Glad to hear it. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.