cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet, hub says it's "updating"

lina101
Joining in

Internet has been out for hours, have restarted it a few times, and Virgin apparently doesn't do phone support in the evenings. When I check the router status on our hub 3.0 it says there's an update in progress. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Cable Modem Status
Item Status Comments
Acquired Downstream Channel (Hz)
Update in progress
Scanning
Ranged Upstream Channel (Hz)
Update in progress
Provisioning State

Network log

26/05/2019 11:22:53 Error DHCP REBIND WARNING - Field invalid in response;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/05/2019 20:01:27 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/05/2019 20:01:27 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/05/2019 20:01:27 Warning! RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/05/2019 20:01:27 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
26/05/2019 20:01:33 Warning! Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

18 REPLIES 18

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi lina101,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear this. 

I can assure you our technical support team work 24/7. They can be contacted on 150/0345 454 1111. 

Are you still having this issue?

^Martin

On your "experiencing an issue" page it says:

Call 150 from your Virgin Media phone or mobile, or
call 0345 454 1111 * from any other phone

Monday to Friday, 8am until 9pm

Saturday, 8am until 8pm and Sunday 8am until 6pm

It clearly says that number is not available 24/7. Are you saying that actually it is, but it just says that it's not? 

And in answer to your question, I wasted literally four hours trying to fix this, and after 8 or 9 hours it stopped updating and started working. Can you tell me why my modem was "updating" and unavailable for 9 hours? 

That time maybe referring to other departments that close at 9pm. My apologies.

I'm unsure as to why the hub was taking that long to update. Have we recently posted anything through the door to advise we were doing any work in the area?

^Martin

--That time maybe referring to other departments that close at 9pm. My apologies.

That seems like a pretty big issue if the place on your site that a customer who was experiencing an issue would naturally go has incorrect information, no? 

--I'm unsure as to why the hub was taking that long to update. Have we recently posted anything through the door to advise we were doing any work in the area?

No. 

I will ensure that is passed onto the relevant team as feed back.

If that is the case then it sounds like it was just a large update. 

^Martin

I have the same problem.  I have got a web page that says "update in progress", "your hub 3.0 is currently updating its software".  I kept refreshed the page for 30 minutes then gave up and went back to the old modem.  Virgin asked me to replace the old modem because it might be the cause of some VMupdateInProgress.pngof the downtime. 

I did stop the first update in progress because I thought that something had hung but I saw afterwards in the manual that it will take approximately 20 minutes. The 'update in progress' web page is not helpful, it's not obvious that any data is being downloaded at all.  Do I need to leave the hub connected overnight? Thanks.

"I will ensure that is passed onto the relevant team as feed back." 

Looks like that didn't happen. 

The installation guide step 1 is 'Activate your service'.  My service is already activated so I skipped that step. Or should the red and yellow booklet actually say 'Activate service on your Hub3?'  If the latter is true, why doesn't the web page (see above) say service not activated rather than 'Update in Progress' fro 30 minutes ? 

Is there a proper user/reference manual for the Hub 3 modem and the Virgin Broadband service?  I have searched.  Thanks. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately the Hub3 web software/pages seem to have been written by one man and his dog and the dog was on holiday when most of it was done. That’s why we get all these board postings about the interface. Best one I like is ‘your hub is powered off’ when there is a break in the circuit, nothing to do with the hub being powered off. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2